ICKBOROUGH (or ICKBURGH) is a parish 6 miles north-east from Brandon station, on the road from Brandon to Swaffham, in the Western division of the county, Grimshoe hundred, Swaffham union and county court district, rural deanery of Cranwich, archdeaconry or Norfolk and diocese of Norwich, situate on the river Wissey. The church of St. Peter is a handsome flint building, with stone dressings, in the Early English style, consisting of chancel, nave and square embattled tower with a clock: the church excepting the tower, was entirely rebuilt in 1865-6, at the expense of Francis, 3rd Lord Ashburton; there are two brasses, one in the nave to Francis, 3rd Lord Ashburton, and one in the chancel to the memory of Denzil Hugh Baring, second son of the 3rd Baron Ashburton; it is paved with encaustic tiles: all the windows are stained. The register dates from the year 1740. The living is a rectory, annexed to that of Langford, joint yearly tithe rent charge £248, with 30 acres of glebe and residence, in the gift of W. Amhurst Tyssen Amherst esq. M.P. and held since 1881 by the Rev. Henry Chichelé Hart B.A. of Corpus Christi college, Cambridge. There is a charity consisting of 27 acres of land, bequeathed by the Dingle family to the poor inhabitants, producing £21 yearly. W. Amhurst Tyssen Amherst esq. M.P. is lord of the manor and chief landowner. The soil is light and sandy; subsoil, clay. The crops are chiefly barley and turnips. Two farmhouses, with a few labourers' cottages, comprise the whole village. The area is 1,599 acres; rateable value, £859; and the population in 1881 was 182.
Letters from Mundford (Railway Sub Office), which is the nearest money order office. WALL LETTER BOX, cleared at 4.45
A school was built in 1851 by Lord Ashburton & is supported by W. Amhurst Tyssen Amherst esq. M.P.; it will hold 80 children, average attendance 45; Miss Esther Dennant, mistress
© Transcribed by E.C. ("Paddy") Apling, February 1999; links updated November 2010.
1891 Census Names Index
Sale particulars Didlington Estate, 1910.
White's 1845, 1864 and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Ickburgh Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More on Ickburgh [GENUKI-NFK]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page