ILLINGTON is a parish and village on the banks of a rivulet, 1½ miles north-west from Wretham station and 7 north-east from Thetford, in the Southern division of the county, Shropham hundred, Attleborough county court district, rural deanery of Rockland, archdeaconry of Norfolk and diocese of Norwich. The church of St. Andrew is a small flint edifice, in the Perpendicular and Early English styles, consisting of chancel and nave, with square tower containing 3 bells: there is an inscription to the memory of Sir John Churchman knt.: a new oak roof was placed on the nave in 1881, new floors were put down and the walls plastered, and it is purposed to do the same to the chancel: when repairing the walls of the nave broken pieces of an alabaster figure were discovered in the south-west side of the chancel arch, and two small windows were found, one on the north, the other on the south wall and an inscription on an outside stone on the north-west angle of the nave, under the water table. The register dates from the year 1672. The living is a rectory, gross yearly value £150, in the gift of Fortescue Walter Kellett Long esq. and held since 1861 by the Rev. Godfrey John Bird, of St. Bees. Fortescue Walter Kellett Long esq. is the sole landowner. The soil is sandy; subsoil, chalky. The chief crops are wheat, barley and oats. The area is 1,298 acres of fertile land; rateable value, £1,100; the population in 1881 was 75.
Letters through Thetford. Hockham is the nearest money order & East Wretham the nearest telegraph office.
© Transcribed by E.C.Apling, February 1999, with minor correction August, 2009; links updated February 2010.
1891 Census Names Index
White's 1845 and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Archeology of Wretham (& Illington) [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More on Illington [GENUKI-NFK]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page