Note: Usually pronounced Ingle'thorpe
INGOLDISTHORPE is a village and parish on the Lynn and Hunstanton road, 10 miles north-north-east from Lynn and 1 mile east from Snettisham station on the Lynn and Hunstanton railway, in the Western division of the county, Smithdon hundred, Docking union, Lynn county court district, rural deanery of Heacham, Norfolk archdeaconry and Norwich diocese; it is watered by a small rivulet called the Ingol, which flows westward to the Wash, and from which the village takes its name. The church of St. Michael is a large building of flint and stone, in the Later English style, and consists of chancel, which is a fine specimen of the Perpendicular, nave with clerestory, aisles, south porch, and square embattled tower containing 2 bells: the clerestory windows are small: the building was restored during the years 1857-58: a window has been inserted in the memory of Capt. J. Davy R.N. and J.P.: opposite the south porch stands an ancient cross. The register dates from the year 1760. The living is a rectory, yearly tithe rent-charge £312, with excellent residence, erected in 1858, and 45 acres of glebe, in the gift of and held b the Rev. William Thomas Beckett M.A. of Trinity College, Oxford. The common was enclosed in 1858; 30 acres were set apart for fuel allotment, 8 acres for cottage gardens and allotment, and 4 acres as recreation ground. The village is situated at the foot of a hill, on the summit of which stands Mount Amelia, a plain square building, the residence of Mrs. Davy. The church, rectory house and schools stand on the same hill, about a quarter of a mile distant from the village, about equidistant from Dersingham and Snettisham railway stations. The Manor House, a substantial modern residence of red brick with white stone facings, is the seat of the Rev. James Bellamy D.D. who is lord of the manor. Mrs. Davy, John W. Davy esq. of Kilverstone near Thetford, H. J. Coldham, and John B. Goggs esqrs. are the principal landowners. The soil is of a light mixed character; subsoil, chalk and green sandstone, called in the neighbourhood carr stone. The land is farmed chiefly on the four-course system. The area is 1,270 acres; rateable value. £2,459; and the population in 1881 was 309.
______POST OFFICE.John Townshend, sub-postmaster. London & other letters are received through Lynn by mail cart at 6.30 a.m. & are dispatched at 6 p.m.; box cleared at 5.50 p.m. Dersingham & Snettisham are the nearest money order offices, & telegraph office at Hunstanton.
Parochial School (mixed), Miss Alice Jane Bryning, mistress
CARRIERS pass through the village several times during the week to & from Lynn.
© Copyright E. C. ("Paddy") Apling, September, 2006; links updated February 2011Paddy's Home Page