IRMINGLAND is a parish on the Bure, & 1½ miles from Corpusty station on the Eastern and Midlands railway amd 5¼ miles west-north-west from Aylsham, in the Northern division of the county, South Erpingham hundred, Aylsham union and county court district, rural deanery of Ingworth and archdeaconry and docese of Norwich. Here was formerly a church, but it was taken down many years snce. The living is a rectory, consolidated with Heydon, joint yearly value about £400, with residence, in the gift of Lieut.-Col. William Earle Gascoyne Lytton Bulmer and held since 1881 by the Rev. George Shand M.A. of Queen's College, Oxford. Of the ancient hall there is only one wing remaining, which is now occupied as a farmhouse. Lieut.-Col. W. E. G. Lytton Bulwer is lord of the manor. John Stuart Bolton esq. of Oulton Hall, is the chief landowner; the Earl of Orford is also a lamdowner in this parish. The soil is mixed; subsoil, clay and gravel..The chief crops are what, roots, barley and hay. The area is 714 acres; rateable value, £950; the population in 1881 was 5.
ELLMELDALE is a hamlet 1 mile north-east.
Letters through Norwich viā Aylsham. The latters is the nearest money order & telegraph office.
This parish is included in Corpusty United School Board District formed in 1875
1891 Census Names Index
White's 1845; 1864; and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Oulton (& Irmingland) Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More on Irmingland [GENUKI-NFK]
Irmingland Parish information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page