IRSTEAD (formerly called ORSTEADA) is a parish and straggling village, on Barton Broad, which is here joined by the navigable river Ant, 3 miles from Wroxham station, 8 south-east from North Walsham and 11 north-east from Norwich, in the Northern division of the county, Tunstead hundred, Smallburgh union, North Walsham county court distract, rural deanery of Waxham Happing division, archdeaconry of Norfolk and diocese of Norwich The Church of St. Michael is small, of flint and stone: it consists of chancel, nave and square tower with 1 bell, and some years ago was extensively repaired: there is stained chancel window to the memory of William of Wykeham, who was a former rector of the parish, and the founder of New College, Oxford, and of Winchester college. The register dates from the year 1538. The living is a rectory, yearly value tithe rent charge £2092, with 13 acres of glebe and house, in the gift of the Bishop of Norwich and now vacant. Here are allotments for the poor, on which turf is cut. Sir Jacob Preston bart. who is lord of the manor, and Charles and Benjamin Cubitt esqrs. are the principal landowners. The soil is mixed; subsoil, sand, gravel and clay. The chief crops are wheat, oats and barley. The area is 1,065 acres; rateable value £1,133; and the population in 1881 was 148.
Letters through Neatishead by mail cart from Norwich. The nearest money order office is at Neatishead.
1891 Census Names Index
White's 1845 and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
More on Irstead [GENUKI-NFK]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page