1891 Census Names Index
1901 Census Names Index
Index of Marriages (1668-1812) (Alan Gresley)
White's 1845; and 1883 [both GENUKI-NFK]
Islington postmill [Jonathan Neville]
More on Tilney-cum-Islington [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page
And see Tilney St. Lawrence amd Tilney All Saints
And see Marshland St. James

Norfolk - Tilney-cum-Islington

Kelly's Directory for Cambridgeshire, Norfolk & Suffolk, 1883, p.362.

[Complete entry. Transcription Copyright © E.C."Paddy" Apling]

ISLINGTON (or TILNEY-cum-ISLINGTON) is a village and parish 5 miles west-south-west from Lynn, 9½ miles from Wisbech, 2 south from Clenchwarton station and 3 east from West Lynn station, in the Western division of the county, hundred of Freebridge Marshland, union of Wisbech, Lynn county court district, rural deanery of Lynn Marshland and archdeaconry and diocese of Norwich, situated on the turnpike road leading from Wisbech to Lynn. The church of St. Mary is a stone cruciform structure, in the Early English style, consisting of chancel, nave and transepts, with a square tower in which are 2 bells: in the chancel is a handsome stained memorial window. The register dates from the year 1559. The living is a vicarage, yearly value £220, with residence and 5 acres of glebe, in the gift of the Lord Chancellor and held since 1874 by the Rev. William Baker Punsfer T.A.K.C.L., F.R.G.S. Islington Hall, a red brick building, situated in well-wooded grounds, si the residence of Thomas Edward Bagge esq M.A., J.P. Islington Lodge, a handsome modern building, is the seat of William Derisley Harding esq. The Islington Lodge Estate was reclaimed from the bed of the river Ouse in 1821, and has been converted into good pasture land. Richard Bagge esq. M.A., J.P. is the impropriator of the great tithes and lord of the manor. Gustavus Helsham esq. Sir W. H. B. ffolkes, bart. M.P., D.L., J.P. Richard Bagge esq. J.P. and William Derisley Harding esq. are the principal landowners. The soil is loamy and clayey, and the subsoil is sand. The chief crops are wheat and beans. The area is 1,651 acres; rateable value, £2,693 2s.; the population in 1881 was 275.

_____

© Transcribed by E.C.Apling, February 2005; links updated December 2009.

1891 Census Names Index
1901 Census Names Index
Index of Marriages (1668-1812) (Alan Gresley)
White's 1845; and 1883 [both GENUKI-NFK]
Islington postmill [Jonathan Neville]
More on Tilney-cum-Islington [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page
And see Tilney St. Lawrence amd Tilney All Saints
And see Marshland St. James