ITTERINGHAM ia a village and parish 4 miles north-west from Aylsham station on the East Norfolk branch of the Great Eastern railway, in the Northern division of the county, South Erpingham hundred, Aylsham union and county court district, rural deanery of Ingworth. archdeaconry of Norfolk and diocese of Norwich, it is situated on the river Bure, over which there is a bridge of one arch. The church of St. Mary the Virgin consists of chancel, nave and square tower with 1 bell, and has three stained glass windows. The register dates from the year 1560. The living is a rectory, consolidated with that of Mannington. joint yearly value £272, in the gift of the Earl of Orford, and held since 1856 by the Rev. Peter James Elwin, of St. Bees. Attached to the church are the ruins of a small chapel. There is a chapoel for Wesleyans on Itteringham common, with a large congregatin, and also a Primitive Methodist chapel in the Wolterton road. The Earl of Orford, who is lord of the manor, and Constance Marchioness of Lothian are the chief landowners. The soil is sandy and gravel; subsoil, various. The chief crops are wheat, turnips, barley and grass. The area is 1,442 acres; rateable value, £1,841; the population in 1881 was 319.
Parochial Schools, Mrs. Body. mistress
© Transcribed by E.C. ("Paddy") Apling, July, 2009; links updated January 2011.
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page
1891 Census Names Index
South Erpingham hundred
1841 Census Complete transcription [Jonathan Neville]
Lewis's Topographical Dictionary, 1831 [GENUKI-NFK]
White's 1845; 1864; and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Itteringham Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]