ITTERINGHAM, 4½ miles N.W. of Aylsham, is a pleasant but scattered village and parish, with 79 houses, 329 souls, and 1,410a. 2r. 27p. of land, the property of the Earl of Orford, the patron of the rectory, valued in the King's book at £5 17s. 1d., and consolidated with that of Mannington, and enjoyed by the Rev. Robt. Walpole. There are 30a. of glebe, and the tithes of the two parishes were commuted in 1841, for £36 5s. The Church, dedicated to the Virgin Mary, has a square tower, and on its south side are the ruins of a small chapel. There is a school in the village, supported by the rector, and attended by about 50 children. The Wesleyans and Primitive Methodists have each a chapel here. The Holt and Norwich coach passes through the village on Mon. Wed. and Sat.
Post Office at Mr. Wm. Wall's. Letters arrive at 11.15 a.m., and are despatched at 3 p.m.
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page
1891 Census Names Index
South Erpingham hundred
1841 Census Complete transcription [Jonathan Neville]
White's 1845 and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Hunt's 1850 [GENUKI-NFK]
Itteringham Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
Itteringham watermill [Jonathan Neville]
Cirk watermill, Itteringham [Jonathan Neville]
Itteringham Mill (Walpole Estate) Records [Jonathan Neville]
Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
Local web-site [Jonathan Neville]