KELLING is a parish about 3 miles north from Holt station and 9 west from Cromer, in the Northern division of the county, Holt hundred and county court district, Erpingham union, rural deanery of Holt and archdeaconrrry and diocese of Norwich. The church of St. Mary is in the Later English style, and consists of chancel, nave, north transept and square tower containing 1 bell and north porch: the south transept is in ruins. The register dates from the year 1558. The living is a rectory, with that of Salthouse annexed: the tithes for the united parishes are commuted at £520 with 18 acres of glebe, in the gift of the trustees of the late Onesiphorus Randall esq. And held since 1881 by the Rev. John Webb Flavel B.A. Of Trinity College, Dublin. Onesiphorus Randall esq. Is lord of the manor. Mrs. Ketton, William Davy, John Henry Gurney and William Arnold esqrs. are the chief landowners. The soil is light heath: subsoil, gravel and brick earth. The chief crops are wheat, turnips. Barley and grass. The area is 2,191 acres, formerly including 800 of heath, 500 acres of which is now under cultivation; rateable value, £2,017: and has in 1881 a population of 211.
Letters through Dereham, viâ Holt, arrive about 7.30 a.m. Returning about 4.30 p.m. Holt is the nearest money order & telegraph office. No Sunday post.
The School house for the Wabourne united School Board district was erected here and opened in October 1878; it will hold 128 (mixed) childrem, average attendance 80, & has masters house attached; Peter Jackson, master
1891 Census Names Index
1841 Census Names Index [Val Fiddian & Honor Jones]
White's 1845 and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Kelly's 1933 [GENUKI-NFK]
Kelling Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
Kelling postmill [Jonathan Neville]
Chapel of All Saints, High Kelling [Simon Knott]
More on Kelling [GENUKI-NFK]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page