KEMPSTON is a parish 2 miles north from Fransham station on the Lynn branch of the Gtreat Eastern railway and 9 west from East Dereham, in the Western division of the county, hundred of Launditch, union of Mitford & Launditch, county court district of East Dereham, rural deanery of Brisley and archdeaconry of Norfolk and diocese of Norwich. The church of St. Paul is a small building of flint with stone dressings, with a tiled chancel and thatched nave: the tower is covered with ivy: it contains an ancient font and piscina. The register dates from the year 1770. The living is a vicarage, gross yearly value £110, with 30 acres of glebe, in the gift of the Earl of Leicester and held since 1842 by the Rev. Augustus Wenman Langton M.A. of Caius College, Cambridge, who is also rector of and resides at Little Fransham. The Earl of Leicester is lord of the manor and owns the whole of the parish. The soil is various; subsoil, clay and gravel. The chief crops are wheat, barley and turnips. The area is 814 acres; rateable value £1,082; the population in 1881 was 32.
Letters received through Swaffham. Litcham is the nearest money order office
© Transcribed by E.C. ("Paddy") Apling, June 2010.
1891 Census Names Index
White's 1845; and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Kempstone Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More on Kempstone [GENUKI-NFK]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page