KEMPSTONE parish, 1½ mile S. of Litcham, has only 12 houses, 58 souls, and 809a. of land, mostly the property of the Earl of Leicester, the lord of the manor and patron of the CHURCH, which is dedicated to St. Paul, and is an ancient thatched fabric with an antique font and piscina. The vicarage, valued in the King's book at £4 8s. 4d., and in 1831 at £110, is enjoyed by the Rev. A. W. Langton, who has 30a. of glebe. Kempstone Lodge was the seat of the late Hon. General William Fitzroy ; but is now the residence of William Farrow, Esq. Thomas Chamberlain is the resident farmer.
Transcription Copyright © the late A.J. Carter, April 2001; links updated June 2010.
1891 Census Names Index
Mitford & Launditch union
White's 1845; and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Kempstone Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More on Kempstone [GENUKI-NFK]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page