KENNINGHALL, 3 miles E. by S. of East Harling and 4 miles S.W. of New Blackenham [sic Buckenham], is a small improving Market town, comprising in its parish 302 houses, 1,648 inhabitants (of whom 276 were in the Guiltcross Union Workhouse), and 3,524 acres of land, the property of the Duke of Norfolk, the Earl of Albermarle, and many smaller proprietors. The former is lord of the manor, and copyholds are on fines certain for the land, and arbitrary for the buildings, and descend to the youngest son. A large weekly market was, anciently, held every Monday, and it was revived again about 20 years ago for the sale of stock, &c. Here are also two annual Fairs for cattle, on July 18th, and sheep on September 30th. In early times here was a residence of the East Anglian Kings, from which it derived the name of King's Hall, afterwards corrupted to Kenninghall. The site of the Royal Castle in which the magnanimous British queen, Boadicea, held her court is an area of nearly four acres, encompassed with a foss, and having at each corner an artificial mount. The manor was conferred by the Conqueror on William de Albini, to be held by the service of chief butler to the Kings of England at their coronation. It subsequently passed to the Montalts, and Mowbrays, from whom it descended to the Howards, Dukes of Norfolk. A mansion called East Hill was the residence of the lords of the manor till it was taken down by Thomas, Duke of Norfolk, who erected a more stately mansion about a furlong to the north-east of it, which, after his attainder, was called Kenninghall Palace, being conferred by Henry VIII. on his daughter, the Princess Mary. This lady often resided here, and Queen Elizabeth made it one of her summer seats. It was subsequently restored to the Howard family, and continued to be their chief residence in this county till about the middle of the 17th century, when it was pulled down and the materials sold. Its park is now in two farms called Kenninghall Place. The CHURCH, dedicated to St. Mary, stands on an eminence, and is a spacious edifice with a square tower, containing a clock and eight bells, and has the crest of Norfolk upon the buttresses. The vicarage, valued in the King's book at £5 17s. 1d. and in 1831 at £250, is enjoyed by the Rev. Richard Proctor, who has 10a. 3r. 26p. of glebe, and a small portion of the rectorial tithes, most of which are in the appropriation of the patron, the Bishop of Norwich. The Baptists, Wesleyan and Primitive Methodists, have each a chapel here. The former was built by the late T. J. Humphrey, who settled it in trust for the use of the congregation, which was formed in 1799 under the ministry of the Rev. Thos. Smith, of Shelfanger. The Rev. John Upton is the present pastor. Messrs Murton and Turner are in great repute for their improved corn, manure, and turnip seed, drills. The church land, 7a., is let for £17 a year. In 1843 a good fire engine was purchased by the town. The poor have £2 10s. yearly from Bowle's Charity, noticed with Banham, and 20s. per annum left by Dorothy Gawdy in 1616. The Fuel allotment, awarded in 1779, consists of 24a. 25p. of fen, and 26a. 3r. 34p. of heath, on which a barn was built, in 1802, at a cost of £120. The herbage is let for £50 a year which is expended in coals.
Post Office at Mr. Mark Mordey's ; letters arrive from East Harling at 8 a.m., and are despatched at 5.30 p.m.
1891 Census Names Index
White's 1845 [GENUKI-NFK]
Hunt's 1850 [GENUKI-NFK]
Kenninghall Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
Kenninghall 13th-century postmill and 15th-century postmill; Banham Road postmill, smockmill and towermill;
Chimney towermill, Fersfield Road towermill, Lopham Road smockmill; Mill Lane postmill and towermill;
Park Common postmill and Kenninghall steam mill [Jonathan Neville]
More about Kenninghall [GENUKI-NFK]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page