Return to villages index
Paddy's home page
1891 Census Names Index
Kelly's 1883
Ketteringham Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More on Ketteringham [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]

Norfolk - Ketteringham

Kelly's Directory for Cambridgeshire, Norfolk & Suffolk, 1883, p. 363.

[Complete entry. Transcription Copyright © E.C."Paddy" Apling]

KETTERINGHAM is a village and parish 1 mile south-west from Hethersett station, 3 south-east from Wymondham station, 6 south=west from Norwich, in the Southern division of the county, Humbleyard hundred, Wymondham county court district, rural deanery of Humbleyard, archdeaconry of Norfolk and diocese of Norwich. The church of St. Peter chiefly built of flintstone, in the Perpendicular style, has chancel, nave, aisles, square tower containing 5 bells and porch : it contains several ancient brasses and an altar-tomb of William Hevingham and his wife; he was one of the judges of Charles I. and surrendered as one of the regicides in 1660, but his life was spared. The register dates from the year 1557. The living is a vicarage, yearly value 170, with 30 acres of glebe, in the gift of Sir Francis George Manningham Boileau bart. D.L., J.P. and held sinde 1835 by the Rev. William Wayte Andrew M.A. of St. Mary Hall, Oxford, who resides at Wood Hall, Hethersett. In a tumulus, near the road from Carlton to Hethersett, fragments of Roman pottery have frequently been found. Nearly the whole of the parish belongs to Sir Francis George Manningham Boileau bart. D.L., J.P. lord of the manor, who resides at Tacolneston Hall: Ketteringham Hall (also his property but at present unoccupied), is a handsome castellated tudor mansion, which was considerably beautified and improved, with the addition of a Gothic hall, by the late Sir John Peter Boileau bart.; it contains a fne colledction of arms and armour; it stands on the border of a small lake, in a beautiful park of upwards of 200 acres. The soil is of a mixed nature; subsoil, brick earth. The chief crops are wheat, barley, turnips and hay. The area is 1,680 acres; rateable value, 2,763; and the population in 1881 was 210.


Letters by fot post from Wymondham. WALL LETTER BOX cleared at 6.40 p.m. on week days. The nearest money order office is at Hethersett & telegraph office at Wymondham

Natonal Shool, Miss Fanny Tolliday, mistress

Transcription Copyright © E.C. ("Paddy") Apling, January 2011.

Return to villages index
Paddy's home page
1891 Census Names Index
Kelly's 1883
Ketteringham Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More on Ketteringham [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]