[Complete entry. Transcription Copyright © the late A.J. Carter, March 2001]
KIMBERLEY, a pleasant village, scattered round a green, 3½ miles N.W. of Wymondham : has in its parish 31 houses, 137 souls, and 1,467a. 1r. 18p. of land, the whole of which, except the glebe and poor's land, is the property of the Right Hon. John Lord Wodehouse, M.P. for the eastern division of Norfolk, who occasionally resides at Ma href="http://www.kimberleyhall.co.uk/main.html">Kimberley Hall. It is a spacious and elegant mansion of brick, about a mile east of the village, in a park richly adorned with sylvan beauty, and containing 646a., of which 276a. are in the Downham Division of Wymondham parish, 58 in Carleton Forehoe, and the rest in Kimberley. The first seat here belonged to the Fastolff family, and stood on the west side of the village. Sir John Wodehouse, who married the heiress of Sir John Fastolff, had it taken down, and erected a moated mansion at the west end of the park. His descendants occupied this mansion in 1659, when Sir Philip Wodehouse levelled it, and removed to the present hall on the east side of the park, in the parish of Wymondham. The rivulet on the west side of the hall divides the parishes, and is expanded into a lake, apparently environing a large wood of venerable oaks, below which the serpentine stream bounds a fine lawn. Queen Elizabeth, in her progress through Norfolk, in 1578, lodged at the old hall. The Wodehouse Family has long been settled in Norfolk, and derives its descent through a succession of knights from the time of Henry I. Sir John Wodehouse, the seventh baronet of his family, represented the county of Norfolk in two Parliaments, and was created Baron Wodehouse, of Kimberley, in 1797, and died aged 96, in 1834. On the death of the late Lord Wodehouse, in 1847, his grandson, John, born in 1826, the present lord, succeeded to the title and estates. The Church, dedicated to St. Peter, is a neat structure, the steeple of which was built by the Wodehouse family in 1631, and the whole fabric was repaired and beautified, and one of its windows adorned with stained glass, by the first Lord Wodehouse, of whose family here are a few memorials, and several brasses. The vicarage, valued in the King's book, at £6 12s. 3d. has been augmented with £200, given by Sir J. Wodehouse, and £200 Queen Anne's bounty. It is consolidated with the rectory of Barnham Broom. There are 85a. of glebe, awarded in 1766, in lieu of the vicarial tithes. Lord Wodehouse pays £5 a year for 4a. of old poor's land, and £4 for 2a. 2r. awarded to the poor at the enclosure in 1811. A school, conducted on the National system, built in 1847, is supported by Lord Wodehouse. The Dereham and Fakenham Branch of the Norfolk Railway runs through this parish, and has a station here, whence trains are despatched several times a day.
Transcription Copyright © the late A.J. Carter, March 2001; links updated May 2010.
1891 Census Names Index
White's 1845; and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Hunt's 1850 [GENUKI-NFK]
Kimberley Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More on Kimberley [GENUKI-NFK]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page