KIRBY CANE is a village and parish 4 miles south from Loddon, 3½ north-east from Bungay and 1 1/2 north from Ellingham station on the Great Eastern railway, in the Southern division of the county, Clavering hundred, Loddon and Clavering union, Bungay county court district, rural deanery of Brooke, archdeaconry of Norfolk and diocese of Norwich. The church of All Saints, an ancient structure in mixed styles, consists of chancel, nave, north aisle, and round embattled tower containing 5 bells, and has a handsome Norman arch in the porch: in the chancel is a fine stained window, and there are monumental tablets to the Berners family. The register dates from the 27th year of the reign of Henry VIII. A.D. 1536. The living is a rectory, with residence, in the gift of Lady Berners and held since 1851 by the Rev. Abbot Upcher B.A. of Trinity College, Cambridge; the glebe is 41 acres, and the tithes have been commuted for £425 yearly. Here is a small Wesleyan chapel. The poor have £25 7s. 10d. yearly for fuel from Bonfellow's charity, and £24 rent of allotment. Bazett Michael Haggard esq. is lord of the manor and owner of the Hall, an ancient handsome white mansion which stands in a park, with commanding prospect. B.M. Haggard esq. and the Rev. Abbot Upcher B.A. are the principal landowners. The soil is various, light and heavy; subsoil, mixed clay and sand. The chief crops are barley, wheat, beans and peas. The area of the parish is 1,475 acres, rated at £2,440; the population in 1881 was 420.
POST OFFICE.- Mrs. Martha Youell, receiver. Letters received from Bungay at 9.15 a.m.; dispatched at 4 p.m. Bungay is the nearest money order & telegraph office
Parochial school, built by the late Lord Berners & the rector, & supported by voluntary contributions & the children's pence; Mrs. England, mistress
Transcribed by Paul Madgett , February 1999; links udated May 2010.
1891 Census Names Index
White's 1845 [GENUKI-NFK]
Kirby Cane Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More on Kirby Cane [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page