[Complete entry. Transcription Copyright © E.C."Paddy" Apling]
KIRSTEAD (or KIRSTEAD-WITH-LANGHALE) os a parish and village 7 miles south-east from Norwich, 6 north from Ditchingham and 7 south-east from Trowse railway station, in the Southern division of the county, Loddon hundred, Loddon & Clavering Union, Bungay & Beccles county court district, rural deanery of West Brooke, archdeaconry of Norfolk and diocese of Norwich. The church of St.Margaret is a structure of flint with stone dresimgs in the Early English style, and consists of chancel, nave, and south porch; an Early English tower and apsidal chapel were added in 1864, and at the same time a new open roof was constructed and the interior considerably improved: the church was reopened on December 9th, 1854 [sic. 1864?], by the Bishop of the diocese: the rectory home at the same time was extensively altered. The register dates from 1663. The living is a rectory, with that of Langhale annexed, joint yearly value £306, with 38 acres of glebe and residence. in the gift of Caius College, Cambridge, and held since 1879 by the Rev. Thomas Galliers M.A. late fellow of that college. The poor have 20s. yearly, left by Thomas Spooner in 1630. Langdale House, the residence of Charles Kerrison esq. is pleasantly situated on rising ground, with good prospect, in a fertile park. The Hall, a handsome Elizabethan building, occupied partly as a farm house and dated 1614, formerly contained some fine wood carvings, but they have been removed, and a portion of the Hall is almost in ruins. H. Garrod esq. is lord of the manor. Viscount Canterbury. Charles Kerrison esq. and R. D. Whall esq. are the principal landowners. The soil is strong mixed; subsoil, gravel and clay. The chief crops are wheat, oats and barley. At LANGHALE was formerly a church, dedicated to St. Christopher. The area is 1,012 acres; rateable value, £1,463; the population in 1881 was 201.
Parish Clerk. Dennis Pye.
Letters through Norwich, viā Brooke, which is the nearest money order office; telegraph office at Loddon
A School Board of 5 members was formed in 1873; A. F. Yallop, Brooke, clerk to the board
Board School for 50 children, average attendance 42; Miss Susannah Elizabeth Riches, mistress
Paddy's home page
1891 Census Names Index
White's 1845 and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Kirstead postmill [Jonathan Neville]
Kirstead Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
Kirstead Hall late studio of Edward Seago (1910-1974)
More on Kirstead [GENUKI-NFK}
Parish information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]