Return to villages index
Paddy's home page
1891 Census Names Index
Loddon hundred
Loddon & Clavering Union
Bungay & Beccles county court district
Kelly's 1883
White's 1845 and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Kirstead postmill [Jonathan Neville]
Kirstead Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
Kirstead Hall late studio of Edward Seago (1910-1974)
More on Kirstead [GENUKI-NFK}
Parish information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]

Norfolk - Kirstead

Francis White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory, of Norfolk 1854, p. 521.

[Complete entry. Transcription Copyright © the late A.J. Carter, May 2003.]

KIRSTEAD parish comprises 259 souls, 56 houses, and 1,010 acres of land, and is situated 7 miles S.S.E. of Norwich. The land is chiefly the property of G. S. Kett, Esq., Charles Kerrison, Esq., Bethel Hospital, Norwich, and Mr. William Dring Whall. The former is lord of the manor. The Church, dedicated to St. Margaret, is a humble edifice, with a thatched roof, and the living is a rectory, valued in the King's book at £10, and in 1831, at £334, in the patronage of Emanuel College, Cambridge, and incumbency of the Rev. John Lewis. The parish is sometimes called Kirstead-with-Langhall, and there was anciently a Church here, dedicated to St. Stephen, and a rectory called Langhall. The poor have a yearly rent-charge of 20s., left by Thomas Spooner, in 1630.

DIRECTORY—

Transcription Copyright © the late A.J. Carter, May 2003; links updated April 2010.

Return to villages index
Paddy's home page
1891 Census Names Index
Loddon hundred
Loddon & Clavering Union
Bungay & Beccles county court district
Kelly's 1883
White's 1845 and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Kirstead postmill [Jonathan Neville]
Kirstead Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
Kirstead Hall late studio of Edward Seago (1910-1974)
More on Kirstead [GENUKI-NFK}
Parish information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]