KNAPTON is a parish, on an eminence. 2¾ miles north-east from North Walsham railway staton, and 8 south-east from , in the Northern division of the county, hundred ofNorth Erpingham, Erpingham union, North Walsham county court district, rural deanery of Repps, and archdeaconry of Norfolk and diocese of Norwich. The church of SS. Peter and Paul is an ancient building, consisting of chancel, nave, square tower containing 5 bells and south porch: the roof is ornamented with handsome carved work. The register dates from the year 1660. The living is a rectory, yearly value tithe rent-charge £475, in the gift of Lord Suffield and the Master of St. Peter's College, Cambridge, alternately, and held since 1837 by the Rev. William Lawson Barnes M.A. of St. John's College, Cambridge, who is curate of and resides at Charminster, Dorset: the Rev. William Atthill M.A, is curate in charge, and lives at Mundesley. The Master and fellows of St. Peter's College, Cambridge, are lords of the manor of Knapton-Bromholm and Green, and Lord Suffield of Knapton-Cecils manor. The principal landowners are H. M. C. Robinson, Henry Atkinson and John Blachflower esqrs. and the Master and fellows of St. Peter's College, Cambridge. The soil is mixed; subsoil, sand and gravel. The chief crops are wheat, oats and barley. The area is 1,442 acres; rateable value, £2,726; and the population in 1881 was 316.
Letters through North Walsham. The nearest money order & telegraph offices are at Mundesley & North Walsham.
Here is a Church school, supported by children's pence & subscriptions; Miss Sarah Ann Palmer, mistress
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page
1891 Census Names Index
White's 1845 [GENUKI-NFK]
Knapton Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More on Knapton [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]