Return to villages index
Paddy's home page
1891 Census Names Index
Erpingham union
North Erpingham hundred
Kelly's 1883
White's 1845 [GENUKI-NFK]
Knapton Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More on Knapton [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]

Norfolk - Knapton

Francis White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory, of Norfolk 1854, p. 396-397

[Complete entry. Transcription Copyright © the late A.J. Carter, May 2002]

KNAPTON, 3 miles N.N.E. of North Walsham, a parish and village on a considerable eminence, has 85 houses, 330 souls, and 1,480a. 2r. 25p. of land, of which 13a. 3r. 19p. are titheable to Mundesley parish. The manors of Knapton, Bromholm, and Green, are held by St. Peter's College, Cambridge, and that of Knapton Cecils, belongs to Lord Suffield ; but the soil is owned by various proprietors, among whom is Mrs. S. Shirley, of the New Hall ; and Sir. H. Robinson, of Knapton Grove, and several resident yeomen. The Church, dedicated to St. Peter and St. Paul, is a neat edifice with a tower and four bells, and the living is a rectory valued in the King's book at £13 7s. 1d , in the patronage of Lord Suffield, and the master of Peter House College, Cambridge, alternately. The College belongs to Knapton Hall, now held on lease by the Rev. S. Cook. The Rev. Wm. L. Barnes is the incumbent. The tithes were commuted in 1840, for £475 per annum, besides £6 to the rector of Mundesley. Mrs. Shirley supports a school. The rent of one rood of land is carried to the poor rates.

Transcription Copyright © the late A.J. Carter, May 2002; links updated January 2011.

Return to villages index
Paddy's home page
1891 Census Names Index
Erpingham union
North Erpingham hundred
Kelly's 1883
White's 1845 [GENUKI-NFK]
Knapton Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More on Knapton [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]