Knettishall, Suffolk - Kelly's 1883

More on Knettishall [GENUKI-SFK]
The church [Simon Knott]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page

Suffolk - Knettishall

Kelly's Directory for Cambridgeshire, Norfolk & Suffolk, 1883, p.955.

[Complete entry. Transcription Copyright © E.C."Paddy" Apling

KNETTISHALL is a parish situated on the Little Ouse, on the borders of Norfolk, 4½ miles south-by-west from Harling Road railway station, and 6 south-east from Thetford in the Western division of the county, Blackbourn hundred, Thetford union and county court district, rural deanery of Wackland, archdeaconry of Norfolk and diocese of Norwich. The church of All Saints is a plain stone building in the Early English and Decorated styles, and consists of chancel, nave and tower. The register dates from the year 1783. The living is a discharged rectory, consolidated with those of Riddlesworth and Gosthorpe in Norfolk: joint tithe rent-charge £354, with about 64 acres of glebe awarded in lieu of tithes, in the gift of T.Thornhill, esq, M.P. and held since 1872 by the Rev. John Robinson Wells of St. Aidans, who resides at Riddlesworth. Thomas Thornhill esq. M.P., J.P. is lord of the manor and principal landowner, William Mathew esq. of Kettishall Hall is the principal occupier and farms nearly the whole of the land in this parish. The soil is mixed, mostly heavy; subsoil clay and gravel. The chief crops are wheat, barley, oats and turnips. The area is 1,025 acres; rateable value £783; the population in 1881 was 76.


Letters through Thetford. East Harling is the nearest money order & telegraph office.

 

Transcription Copyright ©E.C."Paddy" Apling, August, 2014

More on Knettishall [GENUKI-SFK]
The church [Simon Knott]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page