LAKENHEATH is a parish and large village, formerly a market town, 2½ miles south from Lakenheath station on the Great Eastern railway, 86½ from London, 5 west from Brandon and within 2½ miles of the Little Ouse Navigation (over which is a suspension bridge to Hockwold-cum-Wilton, in the Western division of the county, Mildenhall union and county court district, Sudbury archdeaconry and diocese of Ely, situated on a slight acclivity, surrounded by warrens of great extent, and commanding a most extensive view of trhe country around. The church of St. Mary, is an ancient edifice of brick and flint, in the Perpendicular and Decorated styles; it has chancel, nave, aisles and tower with 6 bells: the chancel was restored in 1864, and is divided from the nave by a Norman arch: the roof of the nave is very richly carved, as are also some of the ancient seats: it contans a very fine Early English font, three ornamental brasses and eighteen matrices, chiefly to the memory of clothworkers, for which this parish was once famous; at the east end of the south aisle is an acient stone tomb of the Styward family, with their arms carved at the back. The present register dates from 1706, the books containing the earlier ones having been burnt. The living is a vicarage, yearly value £300, inckuding 22 acres of glebe and residence, in the gift of the Dean and Chapter of Ely and held since 1874 by the Rev. Frederic George Scrivener M.A. of Exeter College, Oxford. Here are Congregeational, Wesleyan and Baptist chapels. Here are clay and sand pits. A market was formerly held for the sale of corn, the farmers meeting weekly at the "Bell Inn," but it is now discontinued. A fair for cattle and toys is held on the first Thursday after Midsummer-day. The Ecclesiastical Commissioners, who are lords of the manor, His Highness Maharajah Duleep Singh G.C.S.I., J.P. Cornelius Robinson and James Howard esqrs. are the chief landowners. The soil is light and sandy, with a large portion of fen on the west, with nearly 3,000 acres of open rabbit warren. The chief crops are wheat, barley, oats and rye. The area is 10,600 acres; rateable value, £10,150; the population in 188S1 was 1,877.
UNDLEY is a small hamlet, in the fen part of the parish, 1 mile west.
Parish Clerk, Samuel Watts.
POST & MONEY ORDER OFFICE & Savings Bank.William Thomas Household, postmaster. Letters received from Brandon at 7.45 a.m.; dispatched at 6.20 p.m. but from November to February one hour earlier. Brandon is the nearest telegraph office.
INSURANCE AGENT.Norwich Union Fire, W. H. Household
A School Board of 5 members was formed in 1875; O. Isaacson, Mildenhall, clerk to the Board.
There were formerly two Free schools, one endowed by George Goward esq. for thirty boys, the other endowed by Mr. Evans and Mr. Kitchiner: they have been amalgamated by the trustees, and are now vested in the School Board; a Board School was built in 1875 for 300 (mixed), average attendance 100. Edward Kersham, master; Miss E. Rolph, infants' mistress
Railway Station, Robert Souter, station master
BURYSamuel Williams, wed.; Ebenezer Phipps, wed. & sat
THETFORDWilliam Bowers, sat
Dunn William, The Cottage
Morton Rev. John (Congregational Baptist), The Yews
Newton John, The Yews
Scrivener Rev. Frederic George M.A. [vicar]