1891 Census Names Index
White's 1845 for Lammas [GENUKI-NFK]
Whites 1948 for Hautbois Parva (Little Hautbois) [GENUKI-NFK]
Friends' Meeting House, Lamas [Simon Knott]
Buxton with Lammas Archeology [Norfolk heritage Explorer]
More on Lammas [GENUKI-NFK]
More on Little Hautbois [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page

Norfolk - Lammas, with Little Hautbois

Kelly's Directory for Cambridgeshire, Norfolk & Suffolk, 1883, pp.365-6.

[Complete entry. Transcription Copyright © E.C."Paddy" Apling]

LAMMAS with LITTLE HAUTBOIS is a village and parish delightfully situated on the banks of the navigable Bure, over which is a bridge of one arch, 3½ miles south-west from Worstead station, and near to Buxton Lammas station on the East Norfolk railway, 4½ miles south-east from Aylsham station on the East Norfolk branch of the Great Eastern railway, and 9 north-east from Norwich, in the Northern division of the county, South Erpingham hundred, Aylsham union and county court district, rural deanery of Ingworth and archdeaconry and diocese of Norwich. The church of St. Andrew is a flint building. and consists of chancel, nave and south porch, rebuilt in 1878, with a low embattled tower containing 4 bells. The register dates from the year 1538. The living is a rectory, consolidated with that of Little Hautbois, tithes commuted at £250, with 36 acres of glebe and house, in the gift of and held since 1833 by the Rev. William Heath Marsh B.A. who is lord of the manor. Philip E. Sewell esq, Sir H. J. Stracey bart. and Sir John Lubbock bart. M.P. are the principal landowners. The soil is sand; subsoil, marl. The chief crops are wheat, barley and turnips. The combined area of Lammas and Little Hautbois is 829 acres; rateable value, £1,597; and the combined population in 1881 was 250.



Letters through Norwich, viā Hevingham. The nearest money order & telegraph office is at Buxton. WALL LETTER BOX, near Buxton mill, cleared at 4.15 p.m. week days only

There is an Infant school, Miss Hannah Fielding, mistress: the elder children attend at Buxton

CARRIER TO NORWICH.--William Gostling, jun. passes through to the 'Bell' on mon. wed.& sat. returning same evening.

Little Hautbois is a decayed parish, situated on the navigable Bure, 8½ miles north-east from Norwich and 4 north-west from Wroxham station./ The Bishop of Norwich is lord of the manor. The prncipal landowners are the Norwich Charity Trustees and the representatives of Sir H. J. Durrant bart.—Letters through Norwich, viā Coltishall; the latter is the nearest money order & telegraph office

Transcription © Copyright E C ("Paddy") Apling, July 2007; links updated January 2011.

1891 Census Names Index
White's 1845 for Lammas [GENUKI-NFK]
Whites 1948 for Hautbois Parva (Little Hautbois) [GENUKI-NFK]
Friends' Meeting House, Lamas [Simon Knott]
Buxton with Lammas Archeology [Norfolk heritage Explorer]
More on Lammas [GENUKI-NFK]
More on Little Hautbois [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page