LANGFORD parish, 8 miles S. of Swaffham, has only 41 souls, 8 houses, and 1,248 acres of land, the property of the Hon. Fras. Baring, and W. T. G. Amhurst, Esq.; the former is patron of the rectory, valued in the King's book at £4 15s. 9d., and consolidated with that of Ickburgh. The Rev. John Raven is the incumbent. The tithes of the two parishes were commuted in 1840 for £248 per annum. Langford Church is dedicated to St. Andrew, and contains a marble monument in memory of Sir Jacob Garrard, who was lord of the manor, and was created a baronet in 1662. DIRECTORYCapt. Frederick E. Caldwell, steward, Manor House; and Jas. Cracknell, farmer.
Transcription Copyright © the late A.J. Carter, May 2000; links updated January 2010.
1891 Census Names Index
South Greenhoe hundred
Sale particulars Didlington Estate, 1910.
White's 1845, 1864 and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
More on Langford [GENUKI-NFK]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page