1891 Census Names Index
1841 Census Names Index [Val Fiddian & Honor Jones]
White's 1854
Langham Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
Langham postmills [Jonathan Neville]
Bingham and beyond (Introduction to the churches of Binham, Cockthorpe, Langham, Morston, and Stiffkey) [Simon Knott]
More on Langham [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page

Norfolk - Langham

Kelly's Directory for Cambridgeshire, Norfolk & Suffolk, 1883, pp. 366.

[Complete entry. Transcription Copyright © E.C."Paddy" Apling]

LANGHAM (or LANGHAM BISHOP) is a parish about 5 miles west-north-west from Holt station and 7 south-east from Wells, 2 south-south-west from and 6 east from Walsingham and 5 from Thursford station, in the Northern division of the county, Holt hundred, and county court district, Walsingham union, rural deanery of Holt and archdeaconry and diocese of Norwich. The Holt hundred, and county court district, Walsingham union, rural deanery of Holt and archdeaconry and diocese of Norwich. The Holt hundred, and county court district, Walsingham union, rural deanery of Holt and archdeaconry and diocese of Norwich. The church of SS. Andrew and Mary, a handsome building in the Early English style, thoroughly restored in 1868, consists of chancel, nave and south aisle with lofty tower, 3 bells and aclock : a new pulpit and reading desk have been erected: there are several marble tables, in the chancel to the Rippingall family, also two old brasss and an old Norman font. The register dates from the year 1685. The living is a discharged vicarage, yearly value 170, with residence, in the gift of the Bishop of Norwich and held since 1850 by the Rev. John Montagu Randall T.A.K.C.L. There were formerly two parishes, called Langham Magna and Parva, but the church of the latter is completely destroyed and its rectory is consolidated with that of Cockthorpe and Blakeney. The Hall is a handsome modern mansion, in the Tudor style, the seat of Miss Rippingall; the trustees of the late W. Rippingall esq. Rev. John O. Routh and the Rev. J. M. Randall, are the chief landowners. The soil is light; subsoil chalky. The chief crops are on the four-course system. The area is 1,950 acres; rateable value, 2,404; and the population in 1881 was 321.


POST OFFICE.—Thomas Barnes, receiver. Letters received from Dereham at 9 a.m. & dispatched at 4 p.m. The nearest money order & telegraph offices are at Blakeney.

National School (for boys & girls), erected in 1859; James Randall May, master

Transcription Copyright © E.C. ("Paddy") Apling, January 2011.

1891 Census Names Index
1841 Census Names Index [Val Fiddian & Honor Jones]
White's 1854
Langham Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
Langham postmills [Jonathan Neville]
Bingham and beyond (Introduction to the churches of Binham, Cockthorpe, Langham, Morston, and Stiffkey) [Simon Knott]
More on Langham [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page