1891 Census Names Index
White's 1854
White's 1845 and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Hunt's 1850 [GENUKI-NFK]
Langley Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More on Langley [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page

Norfolk - Langley

Kelly's Directory for Cambridgeshire, Norfolk & Suffolk, 1883, pp. 366.

[Complete entry. Transcription Copyright © E.C."Paddy" Apling]

LANGLEY is a parish and widely scattered village, 1 mile north from Loddon, 3 miles south-west from Buckenham Ferry station and 10 south-east from Norwich, in the Southern division of the county, hundred of Loddon , Loddon and Clavering union, Norwich county court district, rural deanery of Brooke, archdeaconry of Norfolk and diocese of Norwich. The church of St. Michael, a handsome edifice in the Perpendicular style, consists of chancel, nave, with square tower containing 4 bells, and south porch: it was thoroughly repaired and decorated with stained glass in 1803, chiefly at the cost of the late Dowager Lady Beauchamp. The register dates from the year 1695. The living is a vicarage, valued in 1831 at 25, having been augmented, from 1772 to 1824, with 400 of Queen Anne's Bounty, in the gift of Sir Reginald W. Proctor-Beauchamp bart. and held since 1853 by the Rev. Henry Alfred Barrett M.A. of St. John's College. Cambridge, rector of Chedgrave, and rural dean. The fuel allotment of 40 acres produces 60 yearly for coals. Here are almshouses for six poor widows, erected in 1861 by the late Sir Thomas B. Proctor-Beauchamp bart. in the memory of his parents. Here are the ruins of Langley Abbey, founded in the year 1198 by Roger Fitz Roger: a stone cross upon which are four statues formerly stood near the Abbey, but has been removed into Langley Park. The Hall, the seat of Sir reginald William Proctor-Beauchamp bart. J.P., D.L. lord of the manor and principal landowner, is a splendid mansion, erected in 1740, standing in a park of 800 acres; it contains many valuable paintings, statues, busts and other articles of . The soil is fine mixed; subsoil sand, garvel and clay. The crops are wheat, oats and barley. The area is 2,693 acres; rated at 3,932; the population in 1881 was 308.


Letters received through Norwich. Loddon is the nearest money order & telegraph office

Here is a school for boys & girl, supported by Sir Reginald W. Proctor-Beauchamp bart.; there is also a teacher's residence adjoining

Transcription Copyright © E.C. ("Paddy") Apling, Jamuary 2011.

1891 Census Names Index
White's 1854
White's 1845 and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Hunt's 1850 [GENUKI-NFK]
Langley Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More on Langley [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page