1891 Census Names Index
White's 1845 and 1883 [both GENUKI-NFK]
White's 1854
Larlingford postmill [Jonathan Neville]
Larling Church [Local web-site]
Archeology of Roudham (& Larling) [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More on Larling [GENUKI-NFK]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page

Norfolk - Larling

Kelly's Directory for Cambridgeshire, Norfolk & Suffolk, 1883, p.366-367.

[Complete entry. Transcription Copyright © E.C. ("Paddy") Apling, February 1999.]

LARLING (or LARLINGFORD) is a scattered village and parish, 8 miles north-east from Thetford and 1 mile north from Harling Road station on the Great Eastern railway, in the Southern division of the county, hundred of Shropham, Wayland union, Attleborough county court district, rural deanery of Rockland, archdeaconry of Norfolk and diocese of Norwich. The church of St. Ethelbert, which stands in a field, a quarter of a mile north from the village, is an ancient structure, enclosed by a strong wooden fence and consists of chancel, nave, and north aisle and a rectangular tower of flint: the south entrance is a fine specimen of Norman architecture: the church contains two marble monuments, one at the northern side of the communion table to William Woodley esq. many years lord of the manor, and the other at the south side to George John Cerjat esq.; and under the chancel window is a spot of ground, fenced in, containing the remains of the Rev. Philip Leach, rector of this parish 35 years and rector of East Winch 42 years: the church was restored in 1867 by subscription (the chancel at the sole expense of the rector): it was re-roofed, re-seated and re-paved: during the restoration a very ancient altar stone was discovered under the communion table, which has been restored to its original position and near the south entrance an old stoup was brought to light and replaced in its original position. The register dates from the year 1755. The living is a rectory, yearly value £257, including 40 acres of glebe, in the gift of the Hon. Lady Nugent and held since 1872 by the Rev. Henry Thornton Pearse M.A. of Christ Church, Oxford. The fuel allotment of 31 acres produces about £20 yearly. Sir G. E. Nugent bart. is lord of the manor and the principal landowner. The soil is various; subsoil, various. The chief crops are wheat, barley and oats. The area is 1,555A. 1R.; rateable value, £1,455; the population in 1881 was 180.

_____

POST OFFICE.— Charles Doe, postmaster. Letters received from Thetford at 4.30 a.m.; dispatched at 8.15 p.m. East Harling is the nearest money order & telegraph office.

This place is included in the United School Board Dristrict of Bridgham, formed in 1875.

Board School, built in 1879 for 50 children; average attendance 48; Miss Mary Bennett, mistress

© Transcribed by E.C. ("Paddy") Apling, February 1999; links updated February 2010.

1891 Census Names Index
White's 1845 and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
White's 1854
Larlingford postmill [Jonathan Neville]
Larling Church [Local web-site]
Archeology of Roudham (& Larling) [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More on Larling [GENUKI-NFK]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page