1891 Census Names Index
Shropham hundred
Wayland union
Kelly's 1883
White's 1845 and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Larling Church [Local web-site]
Archeology of Roudham (& Larling) [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More on Larling [GENUKI-NFK]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page

Norfolk - Larling

Francis White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory, of Norfolk 1854, p. 830

[Complete entry. Transcription Copyright © the late A.J. Carter, December 2001]

LARLING, or Lerling, 2 miles N.N.W. of East Harling, and about a mile from the Harling Railway Station, is a parish and scattered village near the confluence of two rivulets, comprising 43 houses, 219 souls, and 1,506 acres of land, mostly belonging to Lord Colborne, the patron of the rectory, valued in the King's book at £10, and in 1831, at £174. The Church, dedicated to St. Ethelbert, has a thatched roof, and a square tower of flint with three bells. Two marble monuments in the chancel remember William Woodley, Esq. and George J. Cerjat, Esq. The Rev. Edward Eyre, M.A., the incumbent, has a neat rectory house. About a mile south of the church is Larlingford, on the river Thet, and the Norwich and Thetford turnpike, where there is a large Inn, which has a Post Office and Petty Sessions in every alternate year, as previously noticed. The Wesleyans have a small place of worship here. The Fuel Allotment, 31a. 24p., was awarded at the enclosure.

DIRECTORY

Transcription Copyright © the late A.J. Carter, December 2001; links updated February 2010.

1891 Census Names Index
Shropham hundred
Wayland union
Kelly's 1883 Directory entry
White's 1845 and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Larling Church [Local web-site]
Archeology of Roudham (& Larling) [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More on Larling [GENUKI-NFK]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page