Return to villages index
Paddy's home page
1891 Census Names Index
White's 1854
White's 1845 and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Lessingham Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
Lessingham postmill [Jonathan Neville]
More on Lessingham [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]

Norfolk - Lessingham

Kelly's Directory for Cambridgeshire, Norfolk & Suffolk, 1883, pp. 367.

[Complete entry. Transcription Copyright © E.C."Paddy" Apling]

LESSINGHAM (or LASINGHAM) is a pleasant village and parish near the seacoast, 7 miles east from Worstead station on the North alsham branch line, 8 east-by-south from NorthWalsham and 3 north-east from Stalham station on the Eastern and Midlands railway, in the Northern division of the county, Happing hundred, Smallburgh union, North Walsham county court district , rural deanery of Waxham, archdeaconry of Norfolk and diocese of Norwich. The church of All Saints is an ancient building of flint and stone, with a thatched roof, and consists of chancel, nave, square embattled tower with 3 bells and south porch. The register dates from the year 1558. The living is a rectory, incorporated with that of Hempstead. joint yearly value 550 and about 72 acre sof glebe. in the gift of King's College, Cambridge, and held since 1876 by the Rev. John Eyre Yonge M.A. late fellow of that college and rural deal, who resides at Hempstead. Here was anciently an alien prior. The poor have the benefit of a few small charities. The Master and Felows of King's College, Cambridge, are lords of the manor. The land chiefly belongs to Miss A. Nickols and C. J. Matthew esq. of this parish. The soil is strong mixed; subsoil, sand, clay and gravel. The chief crops are wheat, oats and barley. The area is 639 acres; rateable value, 1,157; and the population in 1881 was 176.


POST OFFICE.—Mrs. Sarah Clements, sub-postmistress. Letters received from Norwich at 7.10 a.m. & dispatched at 3.20 p.m. No post on sunday. The nearest money order & telegraph office is at Stalham

A School Board for the parishes of Lessingham, Hempstead and Eccles was formed in 1875; John Littlewood, clerk

Board School, Miss Alice Eleanor Hardingham, mistress

Transcription Copyright © E.C. ("Paddy") Apling, January 2011.

Return to villages index
Paddy's home page
1891 Census Names Index
White's 1854
White's 1845 and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Lessingham Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
Lessingham postmill [Jonathan Neville]
More on Lessingham [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]