Return to villages index
Paddy's home page
1891 Census Names Index
Happing hundred
Smallburgh union
Kelly's 1883
White's 1845 and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Lessingham Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
Lessingham postmill [Jonathan Neville]
More on Lessingham [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]

Norfolk - Lessingham

Francis White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory, of Norfolk 1854, p. 492

[Complete entry. Transcription Copyright © the late A.J. Carter, May 2002.]

LESSINGHAM is a parish and village, 3½ miles N.N.E. of Stalham, and 8 miles E. by S. of North Walsham, comprising, 191 souls, 51 houses, and 640 acres of land, mostly the property of B. Cubitt, Esq. ; but the manor is held by King's college, Cambridge. The Church is dedicated to All Saints, and the living is a rectory, valued in the King's book at £6, and consolidated with Hempstead. There are 21a. 1r. 16p. of glebe, and the tithes were commuted in 1841, for £240 per annum. Here was anciently a priory, subject to Bee abbey, in Normandy ; but it was suppressed in the reign of Henry VI. The Poor's Land, 3a. 22p., was awarded at the enclosure. The Rev. Jonathan Chaloner, in 1727, left the yearly sum of £4 for schooling poor children, and £4 6s. for the poor, who have also £1 7s. 8d. per annum, left by John Ringer, Oliver Hartstring, and Thos. Smith. The Methodists built a chapel here in 1843, and here is a National school for this and Hempstead parish.

Transcription Copyright © the late A.J. Carter, May 2002; links updated January 2011.

Return to villages index
Paddy's home page
1891 Census Names Index
Happing hundred
Smallburgh union
Kelly's 1883
White's 1845 and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Lessingham Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
Lessingham postmill [Jonathan Neville]
More on Lessingham [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]