LETHERINGSETT is a parish about 1 mile west from Holt station, in the Northern division of the county, Holt hundred and county court district, Erpingham Union, rural deanery of Holt and archdeaconry and diocese of Norwich. The village is remarkably clean, and picturesquely situated in a well-wooded valley of the Glaven. The church of St. Andrew is in the 13th century style, and consists of chancel, nave, aisles and small vestry, with a round Norman tower containing 3 bells; there is a curious old Norman font: the interior has been restored at a cost of nearly £1,200; a stained window, designed by Mr. Preedy, has been placed in the chancel by Mrs. Jodrell, of Bayfield, in memory of Major Jodrell. The register dates from the year 1653. The living is a discharged rectory, yearly value £253, with 5 acres of glebe, in the gift of and held since 1872 by the Rev. John Marshall Webb, M.A. of Trinity College, Oxford. William Hardy Cozens-Hardy esq. J.P. has a handsome mansion here, the gardens and plantations of which are tastefully laid out. W. H. Cozens-Hardy esq. J.P. who is lord of the manor and Mrs.Watson are the chief landowners. The soil is light; subsoil, chalky. The chief crops are wheat, barley and turnips. The areas 853 acres; rateable value, £1,856; and the population in 1881 was 280.
This parish is united with Holt & Letheringsett School Board district.
1891 Census Names Index
Will of Thomas YOUNGMAN, millwright, 1832
White's 1845 and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Hunt's 1850 [GENUKI-NFK]
Letheringsett with Glandford Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
Letheringsett postmill, watermill and Brewery watermill [Jonathan Neville]
Letheringsett watermill [Friends of Letheringsett Watermill web-site]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page