LETTON is a parish 6 miles south from Dereham and 4 west from Thuxton station, in the Southern division of the county, Mitford hundred, Mitford union, East Dereham county court district, rural deanery of Hingham, archdeaconry of Norfolk and diocese of Norwich. There has been no church here since the Reformation (but the foundations of one are still remaining); the parishioners use the church of the adjoining parish of Cranworth. The register dates from 1653. The living is a rectory, annexed with Southburgh to that of Cranworth, joint gross yearly value tithe rent charge £700. with 31 acres of glebe and house at Cranworth and 7 acres at Southburgh, in the gift of Robert Thornhaugh Gurdon esq. M.P. and held since 1874 by the Rev. Thomas Perry Garnier M.A. rural dean, late fellow of All Souls College, Oxford, who resides at Cranworth. Letton Hall, in a park of about 200 acres is the seat of Robert Thornhaugh Gurdon esq. M. A., M.P., D.L, J.P. who is lord of the manor and owner of the whole of the parish; the Hall is modern, of white brick; Sir John Soane, architect; in the house are portraits of the owners from an early date and also a large number of other pictures. The soil is part heavy and part light; subsoil, mixed. The chief crops are wheat, barley, roots and oats. The area is 1,274 acres; rateable value, £1,711; & the population in 1881 was 114.
Letters through Thetford, viâ Shipdham, which is the nearest money order & telegraph office.
The children attend the school at Cranworth for the united parishes of Letton, Southburgh & Cranworth.
© Transcribed by E.C. ("Paddy) Apling, December 1998; links updated March 2010.
1891 Census Names Index
Complete Census Transcripts for 1841. 1851, 1861, 1871 and 1891
Kelly's 1892, 1896, 1904 and 1937; and White's 1854.
White's 1845 [GENUKI-NFK]
Letton postmill [Jonathan Neville]
Cranworth (& Letton) Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
Blomefield on Letton [British History on Line]
More information on Letton [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page