LETTON is a parish, 4 miles west of Thuxton station on the Wymondham and Dereham section of the Great Eastern railway and 6 south from Dereham, in the Mid division of the county, Mitford and Launditch petty sessional division, Mitford hundred, East Dereham county court distract, rural deanery of Hingham (Mitford division), archdeaconry of Norfolk and diocese of Norwich. Of the church of All Saints only the foundations now remain; the parishioners attend the church of the adjoining parish of Cranworth. The register dates from the year 1653. The living is a rectory, annexed with Southburgh to that of Cranworth, joint net yearly value £450, including 38 acres of glebe, in the gift of Lord Cranworth, and held since 1896 by the Rev. Arthur Taylor Hodgson B.A. of Queen's College, Cambridge, who resides at Cranworth. Letton hall is the seat of Lord Cranworth D.L., JP, who is lord of the manor and owner of the whole of the parish; the house, which stands in a part of about 200 acres, was designed by Sir John Soane, and contains a large number of pictures. The soil is part heavy and part light; subsoil, mixed. The chief crops are wheat, barley, roots and oats. The area is 1,287 acres; rateable value, £1,131; the population in 1901 was 92.
Letter Box cleared at 8.45 a.m. & 6.20 p.m. Letters through Thetford, via Shipdham, arrive at 7 a.m. and 3.30 p.m. Shipdham is the nearest money order & telegraph office, about 1½ miles distant.
The children attend the school in Cranworth for the united parishes of Letton, Southburgh & Cranworth
© Transcribed by E.C. ("Paddy") Apling, January, 2003; spelling correction and links updated February 2010.
1891 Census Names Index
Complete Census Transcripts for 1841. 1851, 1861, 1871 and 1891
Kelly's 1883; 1892; 1896; and 1937
White's 1845 [GENUKI-NFK]
Letton postmill [Jonathan Neville]
Cranworth (& Letton) Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More information on Letton [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page