LETTON, 6 miles S. of East Dereham, is a parish with 24 scattered houses, 150 souls, and 1,263 acres of rich grazing land, celebrated for milk and butter as early as the time of Elizabeth. The soil is the property of Brampton Gurdon, Esq., who resides at the Hall, a handsome quadrangular mansion of white brick, surrounded by an extensive and well wooded park. He is patron of the rectory, valued in the King's book at £7 14s. 7d., and was consolidated with Cranworth in the 38th of Henry VIII. The Rev. Philip Gurdon is the incumbent. The Church, which was dedicated to All Saints, has long been dilapidated, and its site is now marked by a plantation on the south side of the park. The Fuel Allotment, 7a. 1r. 24p., was awarded in 1798. DIRECTORYBrampton Gurdon, Esq., the Hall; and James Codd, Edward Stebbing, and Filby Stebbing, farmers.
Transcription Copyright © the late A.J. Carter, May 2000; links updated February 2010.
1891 Census Names Index
Complete Census Transcripts for 1841. 1851, 1861, 1871 and 1891
Kelly's 1883; 1892; 1896; 1904 and 1937
White's 1845 [GENUKI-NFK]
Letton postmill [Jonathan Neville]
Cranworth (& Letton) Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More information on Letton [GENUKI-NFK]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page