LETTON is a parish, 4 miles west of Thuxton station on the Wymondham and Dereham section of the Great Eastern railway and 6 south from Dereham, in the Mid division of the county, Mitford and Launditch petty sessional division, Mitford hundred, East Dereham county court distract, rural deanery of Hingham (Mitford division), archdeaconry of Norfolk and diocese of Norwich. Of the church of All Saints only the foundations now remain; the parishioners attend the church of the adjoining parish of Cranworth. The register dates from the year 1653. The living is a rectory, annexed with Southburgh to that of Cranworth, average tithe rent charge £530, including 38 acres of glebe, in the gift of Robert Thornhaugh Gurdon, esq., and held since 1896 by the Rev. Arthur Taylor Hodgson B.A. of Queen's College, Cambridge, who resides at Cranworth. Letton hall is the seat of Robert Thornhaugh Gurdon, esq. M.A., D.L., JP, who is lord of the manor and owner of the whole of the parish; the house, which stands in a part of about 200 acres, was designed by Sir John Soane, and contains a large number of pictures. The soil is part heavy and part light; subsoil, mixed. The chief crops are wheat, barley, roots and oats. The area is 1,287 acres; rateable value, £1,346; the population in 1891 was 119..
Letter Box cleared at 6 p.m. Letters through Thetford, viâ Shipdham, which is the nearest money order & telegraph office, arrive at 7 a.m.
The children attend the school in Cranworth for the united parishes of Letton, Southburgh & Cranworth
© Transcribed by E.C. ("Paddy") Apling, January, 2003.
1891 Census Names Index
Complete Census Transcripts for 1841. 1851, 1861, 1871 and 1891
Kelly's 1883, 1892, 1896, 1904 and 1937
White's 1845 [GENUKI-NFK]
Letton postmill [Jonathan Neville]
Cranworth (& Letton) Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More information on Letton [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page