LEVERINGTON is a parish and village in the Isle of Ely, 1 mile north-east of the Midland railway station at Wisbech, 2 miles north-west from Wisbech Great Eastern station, in Wisbech hundred, union and county court district, rural deanery of Wisbech and in the peculiar archdiaconal jurisdiction of the Bishop of Ely., situated on the Norfolk border of the county. The church of St. Leonard & St. John is an ancient stone buidling, chiefly in the Early English and Perpendicular styles, restored and beautified in 1856, and has chancel, nave, aisles, tower with 6 bells and beautiful spire, clock and south porch: it contains an organ, several monments, also sedilia and a very ancient oak eagle lectern; the font is ancient having figures under canopies: an organ and new chancel stalls have been added, together with a new roof on chancel aisle, and bells restored, at a cost of about £900. The register dates from the year 1558. The living of Leverington proper is a rectory, net yearly value £720, with residence and four acres of glebe, in the gift of the Bishop of Ely, and held since 1870 by the Rev. Fredeick Carlyon M.A. of Pembroke College, Cambridge. Here is a Primitive Methodists chapel. There are charities of about £300 a year for distribution; also 19 houses, free residences of the parishioners. The Endowed School is supported out of the charity funds. The Bishop of Ely is lord of the manor of Leverington, and the Ecclesiastical Commissioners are lords of the manor of Wisbech Barton. which extends into this parish. Henry Sharpe, esq. J.P., Thomas Dearlove Dearlove, Frank and Edward Hugh Jackson and John H. Chamberlin esqrs. are the principal landowners, and there are several other landowners farming their own property. The soil is rich loam. The chief crops are wheat, barley, oats, beans and peas. The parish is divided into two: Leverington, with a population in 1881 of 1,214 and Parson Drove chapelry, with a population in 1881 of 740; entire area, 7871 acres; rateable value, £9,044.
FITTON END, is 1 mile north of Leverington. There is a small manor here, detached from Leverington lordship.
GOREFIELD and SOUTHSEA-CUM-MURROW are given under separate headings.
COLDHAM, including MARSH CHAIN, STAGENHOLT, and PEARTREE HILL, has been formed into an ecclesiastical parish, and will be found under COLDHAM.
Registrar of Births & Deaths for Leverington Sub-District, Joseph Foster, Wisbech St. Mary
Police Sergeant Robert Thacker
Endowed School (mixed), Frederick Frier, master
More on Leverington [Alan Gresley]
Genealogical information for Leverington [Forebears]
More on Leveringon [GENUKI]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page