1891 Census Names Index
White's 1845 and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Index of Marriages for Ashwicken-Leziate, (1729-1779) [Alan Gresley]
Archeology of Leziate [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More on Leziate [GENUKI-NFK]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page

Norfolk - Leziate

Kelly's Directory for Cambridgeshire, Norfolk & Suffolk, 1883, p.368.

[Complete entry. Transcription Copyright © E.C."Paddy" Apling]

LEZIATE is a parish 4½ miles east from Lynn, and 2 north from East Winch station on the Great Eastern railway, in the Western division of the county, hundred and union of Freebridge Lynn, Lynn county court district, rural deanery of Lynn and archdeaconry and diocese of Norwich. Nothing remains of the church but the foundation: the inhabitants attend Ashwicken church; the benefice has long been consolidated with Ashwicken; the joint yearly value is £520, in the gift of and held since 1877 by the Rev. Arthur John Groom B.A. of Trinity College, Cambridge. The Earl of Romney is lord of the manor. Sir Willoughby Jones bart. Anthony Hamond esq. Captain Howes and the Rev. Henry Collnson, are the chief landowners. The soil is various; subsoil, mostly clay. The chief crops are wheat, barley and turnips. The area is 1,356 acres, including 104 acres of rabbit warren and common; rateable value, £1,662; the population in 1881 was 205.

_______

Letters through Lynn. The nearest money order & telegraph office is at Gayton

Children of this parish attend Ashwicken school

© Transcribed by E.C.Apling, February 2005; links last updated April 2010.

1891 Census Names Index
White's 1845 and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Index of Marriages for Ashwicken-Leziate, (1729-1779) [Alan Gresley]
Archeology of Leziate [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More on Leziate [GENUKI-NFK]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page