1891 Census Names Index
1891 Census Names Index for Lingwood (Blofield Union) Workhouse
White's 1845 and 1864 [both GENUKI-NFK]
More on Lingwood [GENUKI-NFK]
Parish information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page

Norfolk - Lingwood

Kelly's Directory for Cambridgeshire, Norfolk & Suffolk, 1883, pp. 368-9.

[Complete entry. Transcription Copyright © E.C."Paddy" Apling]

LINGWOOD is a village and parish and station on the direct Norwich and Yarmouth line (viā Acle), of the Great Eastern railway, 8 miles east from Norwich, 124½ from London, in the Southern division of the county, hundred and union of Blofield, county court district of Norwich, rural deanery of Blofield and archdeaconry and diocese of Norwich. The church of St. Peter is a small ancient building, in the later English style, consisting of chancel and nave, with a square tower. The register dates from the year 1566. The living is a vicarage, yearly value £60, in the gift of the trustees of the late H..N. Burroughes esq. and held since 1847 by the Rev. Joseph Potter M.A. of Trinity College, Dublin, who is also rector of Burlingham St. Edmund's. Here is a Primitive Methodist chapel. An allotment of land awarded to this parish, lets for £28 a year, which is distributed in coals to the poor. Blofield Union House is a large red brick building, standing on 8 acres, with room for 248 persons: there is also an hospital adjoining for 20 patients (for particulars of union, see Blofield). The trustees of the lae H. N. Burroughes es. who are lords of the manor and own most of the soil. The soil is good mixed; subsoil, sand and brick earth. The area is 661 acres; rateable value, £1,583; the population in 1881 was 399.



There is a WALL LETTER BOX at the Union House gates, cleared at 4.15 p.m.; sundays at 10.45 a.m. Letters through Norwich. North Burlingham os the nearest money order office. The nearest telegraph office is at Blofield

National School, for about 100 children of both sexes, belonging to the three Burlinghams and Lingwood, supported by Mrs. Burroughes; James Richards, master; Mrs. Richards, mistress

Railway Station, Willism Garrod, station master

Transcription © Copyright E C ("Paddy") Apling, August 2007; links updated November 2009.

1891 Census Names Index
1891 Census Names Index for Lingwood (Blofield Union) Workhouse
White's 1845 and 1864 [both GENUKI-NFK]
More on Lingwood [GENUKI-NFK]
Parish information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page