LITCHAM is a large well-built village, 8 miles N.E. by N. of Swaffham, and the same distance from Dereham and Fakenham, and includes within its parish 191 houses, 855 souls, and about 1,800 acres of land, of which about 1,300 belong to F. W. Keppel, Esq., who purchased the manor of Lord Wodehouse, about the year 1833. The rest belongs to John Collison, Esq., and a few smaller proprietors, except 12a., in five small commons, of which Granson Moor, Clay-pit Moor, and East hall Green, are now in the course of being enclosed. Robt. de Felton, in the time of Edward I., had the grant of a weekly market, and a fair yearly, on the day and morrow of All Saints ; but the market has long been obsolete. A pleasure fair is held on Nov. 1st. On one of the commons was formerly an hermitage. The CHURCH, dedicated to All Saints, has a square brick tower, built by M. Halcott, who re-cast the five bells. It has lately been thoroughly repaired, repewed, a vestry added, and a new gallery and organ put up, at the expense of F. W. Keppel, Esq. An ancient screen of elaborate workmanship divides the nave and the chancel,in which are memorials to the Neal, Glover, Halcott, Lawrence, and other families. In 1850 and '51, two very handsome stained glass windows were put up at the Eastern end of the South aisle by D. Lynes, Esq., and Miss Caroline Lynes, in memory of their deceased parents. The living is a discharged rectory, valued in the King's book at £9 2s., and in 1831 at £541, with that of East Lexham annexed to it. The Rev. Geo. W. Winter, M.A., is patron, and the Rev. Chas. Boutell, incumbent. The tithes are commuted for £440, and there are 45a. glebe. Here is a National school, and a Wesleyan and [a] Primitive Methodist chapel. A neat chapel was built in 1846, by F. W. Keppel, Esq., which is occupied by the Wesleyan Reformers. An Almshouse, endowed with £10 per annum by John Halcott, is occupied by aged people. The poor have £1 12s. from Alee's [sic. Allee's] Charity; £3 left by Sir Thos. Wodehouse ; £2 by Martha Glover ; and 35s. by M. Halcott. The Poor's land, 6a. 2r. 35p., partly purchased with £30 benefaction money, and partly allotted at the enclosure, in 1765, is divided into garden plots, and let at rents amounting to £20. Petty Sessions are held March 30th, June 1st, Aug. 3rd. & 31st, Oct. 5th, & Dec. 7th, at the Bull Inn, where the Launditch Societies, for encouraging industry and prosecuting felons, hold their meetings. Mr. Chas. Wright is clerk to the former, and Mr. Thos. Palmer, to the latter. A new police station is about being erected here. A Literary Society was established in 1851, under the presidency of F. W. Keppel, Esq., which has 74 members, and an interesting library of about 400 volumes. The members have the privilege also of seeing various periodicals, and the principal London and provincial papers. Mr. Edm. Stratford, librarian.
Post Office at Mr. Thos. Fred. Leatherdale's; letters arrive at 7 a.m., and are despatched at 5.50 p.m.
1891 Census Names Index
Mitford & Launditch union
White's 1845 and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Litcham Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More on Litcham [GENUKI-NFK]
More |Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page