LITTLE CRESSINGHAM is a village and parish 7 miles south-by-east from Swaffham and 3½ west from Watton station, in the Western division of the county, Swaffham union and county court district, South Greenhoe hundred, Cranwich rural deanery, Norfolk archdeaconry and diocese of Norwich. The church of St. Andrew is a small Gothic building of flint, consisting of chancel, nave and tower, but the latter and part of the nave are in a ruinous condition: there is a monument to Lord Clermont, a former owner of the place. The register dates from the year 1681. The living is a discharged rectory, yearly value, tithe rent-charge £365 9s 4d. with good residence and 24 acres of glebe, in the gift of Joseph Trueman Mills esq.and held since 1871 by the Rev. John William Benest B.A. of Trinity College, Dublin The Wesleyans have a chapel here. There is a fuel allotment to the poor of 23 acres. Clermont Lodge, the seat of Joseph Trueman Mills, bart. J.P., D.L., is a fine modern mansion, standing in a park of about 60 acres. Joseph Trueman Mills, bart. J.P., D.L., is lord of the manor and chief landowner. The soil is light loam; subsoil chalk. The chief crops are wheat, barley and turnips. The area is 1,834 acres; rateable value, £2,241; the population in 1881 was 207.
POST OFFICE. Robert Daines, receiver. Letters received though Thetford, viâ Watton, at 7.30 a.m.; dispatched at 5.45 p.m. & on sundays at 10.35 a.m. Watton is the nearest money order & telegraph office.
A school is supported by an endowment of about £8 per annum, the lord of the manor & the children's pence; Miss Elizabeth French, mistress
© Transcribed by E.C. ("Paddy") Apling, January 1999; links updated November 2010.
1891 Census Names Index
White's 1845, 1854, and 1883
White's 1864 [GENUKI-NFK]
Little Cressingham Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
Little Cressingham mill (combined wind & water) [Jonathan Neville]
Little Cressingham smockmill and tower mill [Jonathan Neville]
More on Little Cressingham [GENUKI-NFK]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page