1891 Census Names Index
Kelly's 1883
White's 1854 and 1883
White's 1864 [GENUKI-NFK]
Little Cressingham Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
Little Cressingham mill (combined wind & water) [Jonathan Neville]
Little Cressingham smockmill and tower mill [Jonathan Neville]
More on Little Cressingham [GENUKI-NFK]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page

Norfolk - Little Cressingham

William White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory of Norfolk 1845, p. 375.

[Complete entry. Transcription Copyright E.C."Paddy" Apling, January 1999]

CRESSINGHAM (LITTLE) on the steep acclivity of a fertile valley, 2 miles S. of the above [Great Cressingham], and 3 miles W. by S. of Watton, is a village and parish, containing 244 souls. and 1504 acres of land. nearly all the property of Sir Francis Lyttleton Holyoake Goodricke, Bart., of Stoodley Castle, Warwickshire, whose late mother resided here, at Clermont Lodge, a neat mansion, in a small park, now generally unoccupied. Of the CHURCH (St. Andrew,) the tower and part of the nave are in ruins, but the rest is in good repair. In the chancel are several memorials of the Clermont family, formerly lords of the manor. The living is a discharged rectory, valued in K.B. at £13. 12s. 6d., and in 1831 at £337. The Rev. R. F. Baker is patron and incumbent, and has lately built a new rectory house. The glebe is 27A., and the tithes were commuted at the enclosure, in 1777. The FUEL ALLOTMENT is 23A. 1R. 30P., worth only about £8 a year, which is distributed in faggots among the poor, who have also 14 pecks of rye yearly, left by John James, in 1717, out of a farm here. The Free School, for six boys and six girls, was founded by Wm. Farrer, who, in 1809, left £50 for its erection, and £300 for its endowment, The school was built in 1816, at the cost of £144, arising from the £50 and savings of income. The endowment now consists of £270 navy five per cents.

From ERRATA on page 816:

Transcription Copyright E.C."Paddy" Apling, January 1999; with corrections, January 2000; links updated November 2010.

1891 Census Names Index
Kelly's 1883
White's 1854 and 1883
White's 1864 [GENUKI-NFK]
Little Cressingham Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
Little Cressingham mill (combined wind & water) [Jonathan Neville]
Little Cressingham smockmill and tower mill [Jonathan Neville]
More on Little Cressingham [GENUKI-NFK]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page