CRESSINGHAM (LITTLE), on the steep acclivity of a fertile valley, 2 miles S. of the above [Great Cressingham], and 3 miles W. by S. of Watton, is a village and parish in Swaffham union and county court district, Lynn bankruptcy district, South Greenhoe petty sessional division and hundred, Watton polling district of West Norfolk, Cranwich rural deanery, and Norwich archdeaconry It had 207 inhabitants in 1882, living on 1834A. 15P. of land, and has a rateable value of £2387 6s. 1d. The soil principally belongs to Joseph Trueman Mills, Esq., J.P., who is lord of the manor. Clermont, a neat mansion in a small park, is an occasional spring and autumn residence of J. T. Mills, Esq., J.P., who also maintains a residence at Husband's Bosworth, near Rugby. The CHURCH (St. Andrew) comprises nave, aisles, chancel and tower; but the latter and part of the nave are in ruins. It contains a piscina, and a mural tablet in memory of Viscount Clermont; and is fitted with open seats, pulpit and reading desk. The discharged rectory, valued in K.B. at £13. 12s. 6d., is in the patronage of Joseph Trueman Mills, Esq., J.P., and the incumbency of the Rev. John William Benest, B.A., who has 27A. of glebe. a handsome residence, built in 1846, and a yearly rent-charge of £365, awarded in lieu of tithes. The Fuel Allotment, 23A, 1R. 30P., was sold in 1878 for £900, and invested under the Charity Commissioners in the Funds, which is distributed in coal. The Free School, for six boys and six girls, was founded by William Farrer, who, in 1809, left £50 for its erection, and £300 for its endowment. The school was built in 1816, at a cost of £144, arising from the £50 and savings of income, and there is a residence for the mistress. The endowment now consists of £288 2s. 5d., invested in Consols, producing about £8 per annum, but it is supported by J. T. Mills, Esq., and the children's pence. The Wesleyans have a small chapel here, and the Primitive Methodists meet in a cottage. In 1849, a male skeleton was dug up in a field now called the 'Triangle,' but formerly 'Hill Field,' from a tumulus long since levelled. A breastplate, part of an armilla, and a small box, all of fine gold; a necklace of amber beads; and a dagger and spear-head of bronze, were found beside it.
POST OFFICE at Mr. Robert Daines'. Letters are received at 7.35 a.m., and despatched at 5.45 p.m., Sundays at 10.35 a.m., from Thetford, viâ Watton, which is the nearest Money Order and Telegraph Office
Transcription Copyright © E.C."Paddy" Apling, January 1999; with corrections January 2000; links updated November 2010.
1891 Census Names Index
White's 1845 and 1854
White's 1864 [GENUKI-NFK]
Little Cressingham Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
Little Cressingham mill (combined wind & water) [Jonathan Neville]
Little Cressingham smockmill and tower mill [Jonathan Neville]
More on Little Cressingham [GENUKI-NFK]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page