LITTLE ELLINGHAM is a village and parish, 5 miles north-west from Attleborough station, in the Western division of the county, Wayland hundred and union, Attleborough county court district, rural deanery of Breccles and archdeaconry and diocese of Norwich. The church of St. Peter is a small flint building, consisting of chancel and nave; the nave was destroyed and the chancel considerable injured by fire on Sunday, December 1st, 1867; the nave has since been rebuilt by subscription, and the chancel repaired, in accordance with the original design, at the expense of the rector. The register dates from the year 1649. The living is a rectory, with house, with the rectory of Great Ellingham annexed, joint yearly value £735, in the gift of R. Berridge esq. and held since 1872 by the Rev. Samuel William Turner B.A. of Oriel College, Oxford. Here is a small Primitive Methodist chapel. The poor's allotment of 40 acres produces £19 yearly; the town lands of 25 acres produce £13. Ellingham Hall, the seat of Thomas Johnson esq. is a handsome modern erection, standing in park-like grounds. The principal landowners are Major Colgrave, who is lord of the manor, John Cottenham Tingey esq. John Harman esq. and the Rev. William Norton. The soil is clayey loam; subsoil, clay and chalk. The chief crops are wheat, barley and turnips. The area is 1,540 acres; rateable value, £2,338 10s.; and the population in 1881 was 318.
Letters through Attleborough, the nearest money order office.
National School, built 1871, at a cost of £300, for 60 children, average attendance 34; Miss Emma Martin, mistress
Transcription Copyright © E.C. ("Paddy") Apling, July 2000; links updated February 2010.
1891Census Names Index
White's 1845 [GENUKI-NFK]
Little Ellingham postmill and steam mill [Jonathan Neville]
Little Ellingham Parish Council
Church of St. Peter [local web-site]
Little Ellingham archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
Wikipedia on Little Ellingham
More on Little Ellingham [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page