LITTLE FRANSHAM is a parish about 1¼ miles south from Great Fransham railway station and 6½ west from East Dereham, in the Western division of the county, hundred of Launditch, union of Mitford & Launditch, county court district of East Dereham, rural deanery of Brisley and archdeaconry of Norfolk and diocese of Norwich. The church of St. Mary is an ancient flint edifice, in the Early English style, consisting of chancel, nave and south porch; it contains several mural tablets, a curious ancient font and a piscina. The register dates from the year 1558. The living is a rectory, yearly value £314, with 37 acres of glebe, in the gift of Hertford College, Oxford and held since 1840 by the Rev. Augustus Wenman Langton M.A. of Caius College, Cambridge, who is also vicar of Kempston. There is a fuel allotment of 11 acres, let at £21 yearly. The Old Hall, now occupied as a farmhouse, has evidently been a building of much greater extent than at present. William Butcher esq. is lord of the manor. The principal landowners are James Griggs esq. of South Creake, and the trustees of the late John Rix esq. The soil is mixed and portions os heavy clay; subsoil, ptincipally clay. The chief crops are wheat, barley, roots and clover. The area is 1,005 acres; rateable value £1,948; the population in 1881 was 233.
POST & MONEY ORDER OFFICE & Savings Bank.John Lovett, receiver. Letters from East Dereham arrive at 8.30 a.m. dispatched at 4.45 p.m. week days only. East Dereham is the nearest telegraph office
Here is a school for 50 children, average attendance 39, it is supported by a voluntary rate; Miss Annie ovett, mstrs
© Transcribed by E.C. ("Paddy") Apling, June 2010.
1891 Census Names Index
White's 1845 and 1883 [GENUKI-NFK]
Hunt's 1850 [GENUKI-NFK]
Fransham Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More on Little Fransham [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
And see Great Fransham
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page