LITTLE MASSINGHAM is a parish and village on the Eastern and Midlands railway, 109½ miles from London, 1 mile north from Great Massingham and 10 miles north from Swaffham and 12 from Lynn in the Western division of the county, hundred and union of Freebridge Lynn, county court district of Lynn, rural deanery of Lynn, Norfolk archdeaconry and diocese of Norwich. The church of St. Andrew is a stone building in the Early English style, consisting of chancel, nave, aisles, porch and square tower containing 3 bells: it contains a monument to Sir C. Mordaunt, of the date 1648. The register dates from the year 1558. The living is a rectry, tithes commuted at £577, with residence and 38 acres of glebe, in the gift of William Walker esq. and held since 1867 by the Rev. Joseph Lloyd Brereton M.A. of University College, Oxford, and prebendary of Exeter. W. Walker esq. is lord of the manor and chief landowner. The soil is a mixture of loam and clay; subsoil, gravel. The chief crops are wheat, barley and tunips. The area is 2,278 acres; rateable value, £3,233; the population in 1881 was 147.
POST OFFICE.George Turner, receiver.
1891 Census Names Index
Index to Massingham Wills [Janice Tostevin]
White's 1845, 1864 and 1883 [all GENUKI-NFK]
Little Massingham Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More on Little Massingham [GENUKI-NFK]
and see Great Massingham
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page