LITTLE OUSE, 6 miles north-north-east from Littleport station and 10½ south-east from Downham, is an ecclesiastical parish, formed from detached and outlying portions of the parishes of Hilgay, Feltwell St. Mary and St. Nicholas, Littleport (Cambridge) and the entire parishes of Feltwell Anchor and Redmore, both formerly extraparochial, by Order in Council, in 1866. It is in the rural deanery and diocese of Ely and the peculiar archdeaconal jurisdiction of the Bishop of Ely. The church of St. John is in the Early English style, of flint, with stone dressings, having chancel, nave, vestry, organ chamber and tower with bells and clock, and was built at the sole expense of the late Rev. Canon E. B. Sparke: it is situated on the south bank of the Little Ouse river, about 2 miles above its confluence with the Great Ouse. The register dates from the year 1868. The living is a vicarage, value about £300 yearly, in the gift of the Bishop of Ely and held since 1882 by the Rev. John Frederick Taylor Morse B.A. of Corpus Christi college, Cambridge. The vicarage house, adjoining the church. is a substantial building of red brick. Here are two chapels for Primitive Methodists. There is an iron footbridge over the river. On the Cold Harbour Drove there is a mission room, and the vicar holds services here on Sunday evenings. The principal landowners are E. Clough Newcombe, the trustees of Joseph Little and William Luddington, James Luddington and Henry Tansley Luddington esqrs. The soil is peat and sand; subsoil, clay and gravel. The chief crops, wheat, beans, oats and roots. The area is 12,042 acres; and the population in 1881 was 921.
WALL LETTER BOXLetters through Downham cleared at 4 p.m. Southery & Littleport are the nearest money order offices; no collection on sundays.
WALL LETTER BOX, Brand Creek; cleared at 4.45 p.m. & on sundays at 10 a.m.
Feltwell Anchor and Fenfarms, formerly extraparochial, now form a parish called Feltwell Anchor; ecclesiastically it belongs to the district of St. John, Little Ouse: it is situate in the Fens, on the north bank of the Little Ouse, 7 miles west of Lakenheath railway station, in the Western division of the county, Grimshoe hundred, Thetford union and county court district. Mrs. Newcombe is lady of the manor and the principal landowner. The soil is peat; subsoil, clay; the chief crops are wheat beans and oats. The area is 102 acres; rateable value, £122; and the population is 47. Letters through Downham Market; Southery is the nearest money order office.
Redmore, formerly extra-parochial, is now a parish, but is attached ecclesiastically to the district of St. John, Little Ouse, 3½ miles north from Mildenhall Road railway station, in the Western division of the county, the half-hundred of Clackclose and Ely union and county court district, situated on the south bank of the Little Ouse; and consists of two farms, a public house and a few cottages. In 1871 the whole parish of Redmore was sold; William Luddington esq. bought a portion which he still owns, and J. Little esq. bought another part, he dying in the year 1874, devised his farm to Harold Archer esq. and Miss Luddington. The principal landowners are W. Luddington and Harold Archer esqrs. and Miss Luddington. The area is 625A. 3R. 31P.; rateable value, £491; and the populations in 1881 was 39. Letters through Downham & Mildenhall. The nearest money order office is t Lakenheath, & Brandon is the nearest telegraph office.
1891 Census Names Index
Kelly's 1892 [GENUKI-NFK]
More on Little Ouse [GENUKI-NFK]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page