LONG STRATTON. formerly a market town,is a polling-place for the Southern division of the county, and comprises the parishes of STRATTON ST, MARY and STRATTON ST. MICHAEL, situated on the high road from Ipswich to Norwich, 2 miles east of Forncett station, 10½ south-by-west from Norwich, and 105½ from London, in Depwade hundred, and union, Harleston county court district, rural deanery of Depwade, archdeaconry of Norfolk and diocese of Norwich. The church of St. Mary is a large Gothic building of the 14th century, consising of chancel, nave, asiles, with tower containing 5 bells and a clock, and has been restored: it contains some brasses and two stained windows in the chancel. The register dates from the year 1547. The living is a rectory, yearly value £424, with 40 acres of glebe and residence, in the gift of Caius College, Cambridge, and held since 1842 by the Rev. Frederick Hill Jerrard M.A. formerly fellow of that college. The charities are £3 16s. yearly. Stratton Manor House is the seat of Col. Randall Robert Burroughes J.P. who is lord of the manor and principal landowner. The soil is mixed; subsoil, clay. The chief crops are wheat, barley and beans. The area is 1,489 acres; rateable value, £2,639 10s.; the population in 1881 was 662.
Stratton St. Michael is 10 miles south from Norwich. The church of St. Michael is a fine specimen of Early English architecture, consisting of chancel, nave and square tower with 1 bell. The register dates fromt he year 1558. The rectory of St. Peter (whose church formerly stood in this parish) is added to St. Michael, joint yearly value £388, with residence and 22½ acres of glebe, in the gift of New College, Oxford, amd held since 1873 by the Rev. Charles Hubert Burrows M.A. of St. John's College, Cambridge. Here are Wesleyan and Primitive Methodist chapels. The proceeds of 7½ acres of land are appropriated to church repairs. Col. Randall Robert Burroughes is lord of the manor. The principal landowners are the Rev. Richard H. Gwyn, J. Nelson esq. ad W. B. Branford esq. The soil is mixed; subsoil, mostly clay. The chief crops are wheat, baley and beans. The area is 1,055 acres; rateable value, £1,707; and the population in 1881 waas 264.
Parish Clerk, John Bowen.
The school is now combined with that of Stratton St. Mary.--Letters addressed Long Stratton
POST & MONEY ORDER & TELEGRAPH OFFICE, Savings Bank & Government Annuity & Insurance Office.--Henry Starr, postmaster. Letters from London; Colchester, Ipswich, Scole & all parts are delivered at 7 a.m. & dispatched at 11.50 a.m. & 8.40 p.m.; also a mid-day mail arriving at 12.30 p.m.; delivered at 1.20 p.m. Box closes at 11.30 a.m. & 8.10 p.m. but letters can be psteduntil 11.40 a.m. & 8.30 p.m. with an extra penny stamp
COUNTY MAGISTRATES FOR DEPWADE PETTY SESSIONAL DIVISION.
Rev. Edward Russell Chute B.A. Rectory, Moulton, Long Stratton, chairman
Col. Randall Robert Burroughes, The Manor house, Lond Stratton
Rev. William Greive Wilson M.A. Rectory, Fornsett St. Peter, Long Stratton
Rev. John Warren Corbould-Warren LL.M Rectory, Tacolneston, Wymondham
Capt. Sir Charles Harvey bart. Rainthorpe hall, Long Stratton
Henry Tuke Holmes esq. Wacton house, Long Stratton
Accident & Alliance, F. T. Cooper
Economic life, T. E. Page
General Hailstorm, J. Hotson
London Assurance,J. Hotson
Norwich Union Fire & Life. J. Hotson
Assessor & Collector of Income & Land Taxes, Fredrick Thomas Cooper
Clerk to the Commissioners of Taxes & Superintendent Registrat of Depwade Union,
High Constable of the Hundred of Depwade, Mr. John White
Inland Revenue Officer, John McCormack
Medical Officer & Public Vaccinator, 1st District & Medical Officer Workhouse,
, Charles Arthur Owen Owens M.D.
Registrar of Births & Deaths for Stratton Sub-district, Henry Starr
National School, George Htchinson, master; Miss Htchinso, mistress
CARRIERS TO NORWICH.--Wm. Chalmers, from Diss, wed. & sat; John Mills, from Eye, wed. & sat.;
Alfred Leech, from his own house, Long Stratton, mon. wed. & sat.; William Cooper, from Long Stratton, mon. wed. & sat. all returning same days
Stratton St. Mary.
Barton Thomas Henry
Burroughes Col. Randall Robert J.P. Stratton Manor house
Copeman Mrs. Netherton house
Hotson The Misses, the Limes
Jerrard Rev. Frederick William Hill, M.A. Rectory
Owens Charles Arthur Owen M.D.
Aldis William, horse breaker
Barnes Elisha, baker
Barton & Owens, physicians & surgeons
Brewster James, gun maker
Browne Frederick Walyter, clerk to Hotson & Page, solicitors, & organist
Browne Harriet (Mrs.), straw hat ma
Chase John, farmer, Mayfield farm
Clarke Charles, boot maker
Claxton james, Angel inn Cooke Alfred, bricklayer
Cooper Frederick Thomas M.P.S. chemist & surgeon-dentist,
assessor & collector of taxes & assistant overseer, wine merchant