LONGHAM is a village and parish 2 miles north from Wendling station on the Great Eastern railway and 5 west-north-west from East Dereham, situated on the road from East Dereham to Lynn, in the Western division of the county, Launditch hundred, Mitford and Launditch union, East Dereham county court district, rural deanery of Brisley and archdeaconry and diocese of Norwich. The church of St. Peter is a structure of flint and rubble in the Perpendicular style, has chancel, nave, a south porch, and square tower containing 1 bell; in 1878 it was thoroughly restored and re-seated and new pulpit added. The register dates from the year 1539. The living is a vicarage, with Wendling rectory annexed, joint yearly value £150, with residence, in the gift of the Lord Chancellor and held since 1869 by the Rev. Wm. Ray Eaton B.A. Corpus Christi college, Cambridge. Here is a small Wesleyan chapel, built in 1836. There are two cottages built as almshouses to accommodate two old married couples, or four single women. The Earl of Leicester is lord of the manor, chief landowner and lay impropriator. The soil is mixed: subsoil, clay and gravel. The chief crops are barley, wheat and roots. The area is 1,304 acres; rateable value £1,615; and the population in 1881 was 361.
PILLAR BOX cleared at 5 p.m. No collection on sundays. Letters received through East Dereham; Litcham is the nearest money order & telegraph office.
A Church of England school was erected by the Earl of Leicester in 1862 & is supported by voluntary contributions, to hold 100 children, average attendance 70; Miss Annie Ransome, mistress.
© Transcribed by E.C. ("Paddy") Apling, January 1999; minor corrections Sept. 2005; links updated June 2010.
1891 Census Names Index
White's 1845 [GENUKI-NFK]
Longham Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More on Longham [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page