1891 Census Names Index
Launditch Hundred
Mitford & Launditch union
Kelly's 1883 Directory entry
White's 1845 [GENUKI-NFK]
Longham Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More on Longham [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page

Norfolk - Longham

Francis White's History, Gazetteer, and Directory, of Norfolk 1854, pp. 793-794.

[Complete entry. Transcription Copyright © the late A.J. Carter, March, 2001]

LONGHAM, a small parish and scattered village, 4½ miles W.N.W. of Dereham, has 337 souls, 74 houses, and 1,284 acres of land, mostly belonging to the Earl of Leicester, the lord of the manor, impropriator and patron of the Church, which is dedicated to St. Peter, and is a perpetual curacy, valued in 1831, at £30, and now enjoyed by the Rev. Rbt. Howlett. At different periods, from 1756 to 1792, the curacy has been augmented with £1,000 Queen Anne's Bounty. Here is a school supported by the Earl of Leicester.

DIRECTORY.—
Thos. Allcock,
Geo. Watling, and
Robt. Winter, shoemakers ;
Mrs. Julia Cooper ;
Rev. Robt. Howlett, incumbent ;
Jas. Leeds, jun. dealer ;
Geo. Murrell, vict. Ostrich ;
Fras. Reynolds, relieving officer ;
Philip Reynolds. vetnry. surgeon ;
Christmas Rust, baker ;
Eliza Watling, schoolmistress ;
Saml. White, wheelwright ;
Richd. Winter, vict. and smith, White Horse ;
and
Thomas Brown,
Jno. Francis,
Jno. Hastings, Hall,
James Leeds,
Hasting Sayer, and
Wm. Steel, farmers.

Transcription Copyright © the late A.J. Carter. February 2001; links updated June 2010.

1891 Census Names Index
Launditch Hundred
Mitford & Launditch union
Kelly's 1883 Directory entry
White's 1845 [GENUKI-NFK]
Longham Archeology [Norfolk Heritage Explorer]
More on Longham [GENUKI-NFK]
More Parish Information [Geoff Lowe & Andrew Rivett]
Return to villages index
Paddy's home page