LOPHAM (NORTH), 3½ miles S.E. by S. of East Harling, is a pleasant village and parish, comprising 832 souls, 191 houses, and 1,966 acres of land, of which 900a., called Lopham Park, is the property of the Duke of Norfolk, the lord of the manor, in which are numerous small copyholds, subject to arbitrary fines. The manor includes South Lopham, and the two villages have long been celebrated for the manufacture of linen ; and though but little yarn is now spun here by hand-wheels, there are upwards of 100 looms employed weaving sheeting, diaper, and huckaback, &c., which are mostly sold unbleached by the manufacturers, who hawk them over this and the adjacent counties. The Church, dedicated to St. Nicholas, is a spacious and handsome structure, with a square tower mostly built of flint. On the south side is an old Norman porch, and the outside of the church and buttresses exhibit many Latin inscriptions. The rectory, valued in the King's book at £17 0s. 5½d., and in 1831 at £642, with that of South Lopham annexed to it, is in the gift of Richard Barrow, Esq., and incumbency of the Rev. James Barrow, M.A. The benefice has a small rectorial manor in the two adjoining parishes, and must be held by a fellow of St. John's College, Cambridge. Here is a small Wesleyan chapel, and a Free School. Mary Williamson in 1696, left 7a. 1r. 20p. of land, for apprenticing poor children, or clothing the poor of this parish. It is now let for £14 16s. The Fuel Allotment, 103a. 2r. 11p., was awarded in 1815. The Town Lands, partly purchased and partly given by several donors, consist of about 43a., in the parishes of Lopham, Garboldisham, and Shelfanger, which, with two cottages, are let for £84 a year, and the amount is applied in the service of the church. Here is a house, let off in several tenements to poor families.
Post Office at Mr. Robert Leeder's : letters arrive at 10 a.m., and are despatched at 5 p.m.
Beales Saml. vict. King's Head Beales Wm. wheelwright
Chamberlin Chas. tailor
Chaplyn Hy. saddler
Cobb Coleby G. schoolmaster
Gooch Thos. beerhs Gooch Wm. carpenter
Hind Mr. T. vety. surgeon
Huggins Saml. vict. Bell Hunt Wm. carpenter
Ling Robt. blacksmith
Ludbrook Jno. tea dlr
Newson Wm. plumber, &c.
Payne Wm. tea dlr
Porter Mr. Jno.
Reeve Thos. beerhouse Ruddock Chas. stone mason
Shaw Stpn. vict. Bull Taylor Danl. bricklayer
Wharton Geo. Esq. The Grange Womack Jno. baker
Womack Robt. maltster