LOPHAM (SOUTH) 5 miles W. by N. of Diss, and 4 miles S.E. by S. of East Harling, is a village and parish adjoining and participating in the linen trade of North Lopham. It contains 165 houses, 731 inhabitants, and 1,932a. 2r. 27p. of land, comprised in the same manor as North Lopham, and chiefly belonging to the Duke of Norfolk, the executors of the late Edwd. Bridgman, Esq., and Thos. Barclay, Esq., besides whom are many smaller proprietors, mostly copyholders. On the swampy grounds, called Lopham Gate, are two copious springs, which give rise to the rivers Waveney and Little Ouse ; the former running eastward to Yarmouth, and the latter westward to Thetford and Lynn, both forming the boundary of Norfolk and Suffolk. Here was formerly shewn, as a wonder, a large pebble bearing the exuvial mark of a bivalve shell, but said, by tradition, to be the impression of the foot of a cow that came to be milked by the inhabitants during a long dearth. The Church, dedicated to St. Andrew, is a large ancient structure, with a fine Norman tower rising between the nave and chancel. The tower has six bells, and is much older than the nave and chancel, the former being rebuilt in 1370, and the latter about the year 1479. The rectory is consolidated with North Lopham, and has a good parsonage house, with 41a. 1r. 13p. of glebe. The late Edwd. Bridgman, Esq., built a school here. The TownLands, given by various donors, consist of 60a. 1r. in Wortham and Redgrave, let for £80 a year ; 14 acres in Langmere, let for £21 ; 24 acres in Lopham, let for £27 14s. ; and a house and 28 acres occupied by the poor. The rents are applied in defraying all the expenses of the church, and the residue is applied with the poor rates. The Fuel Allotment, awarded at the enclosure in 1815, comprise 126a. 0r. 27p., on which the poor cut turf, and let the herbage for about £8, which is applied in repairing the fences. In 1815, W. B. Elliott left £400, and directed the dividends to be applies in purchasing clothing for the poor. This charity now consists of £452 8s., three-per-cent consols.
Post Office at Mr. Durrant Diggons' ; letters arrive from East Harling at 10.15 a.m., and are despatched at 4.45 p.m.
Ashfield Wm. land agent, &c.
Banham Geo. bricklayer
Barrow Rev. Jas. M.A. rectory Boutell Jas. vict. Chequers Bryant Saml. cattle dlr
Diggon Durrant, grcr. and drpr
Fox Rev. Saml. curate
Garnham Wm. carpenter
Grant Jas. butcher
Green Geo. corn miller Hailes Jno. beerhouse Mace Joseph, vict. White Horse Pratt Jno. corn miller Prentice Wm. blacksmith
Seakins Fred. schoolmaster
Wallis Robt. blacksmith
Witton Edw. slaie and havel mkr
Witton Sidney, carpenter
Green Hy. Walnut tree Farm Hambling Wm.
Rolfe George, Oxfoot Farm Rush Susannah
Soar Wm. (and seed mercht)
Turner G. T. (and shopkeeper)